You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Brightness will not increase after waking from sleep

2024 M3 macbook air - After I put it to "sleep" mode, when I turn it back on, the brightness is super low, and the F1 and F2 keys do not work to adjust the brightness. The only thing that works is restarting my computer. This issue has happened a few times, and I am up to date on the latest software. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 27, 2024 3:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2024 4:04 PM

The brightness slider is grayed out in the Control Center, and the brightness option is missing from System Settings>Displays. This issue started after updating macOS from Sonoma 14.5 to 14.6.1. It happens when the MacBook is asleep for more than 30 minutes. I never had this problem with macOS 14.5.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2024 4:04 PM in response to jjessmcm

The brightness slider is grayed out in the Control Center, and the brightness option is missing from System Settings>Displays. This issue started after updating macOS from Sonoma 14.5 to 14.6.1. It happens when the MacBook is asleep for more than 30 minutes. I never had this problem with macOS 14.5.

Oct 17, 2024 7:22 PM in response to jjessmcm

Try going to the Activity Monitor application. Then searching for brightness in the search bar and then clicking on the corebrightnessd process in the search results (so that it gets highlighted blue). Then using the X icon in the top bar to kill and restart it. That fixed it for me. I am on a Macbook Air with M3 chip on Sonoma 14.7.

Brightness will not increase after waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.