You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong timestamp in Get Info window for many photos

Hi,

My Photos app on my Mac is showing the wrong time for many, but not all, of my photos. At first, I thought there might be a metadata error or something similar. All the photos on my phone have the correct time. In my troubleshooting, I even tried deleting a burst that I had previously downloaded from my phone to my Mac that was showing the wrong time. The time is correct on the burst on my phone but when I downloaded it today, the time on the copy in Photos on my Mac showed up wrong.

Everything that's incorrect seems to be off by ten hours.

Now here's the really weird part. If I pull up the window to change the time, it shows the correct timestamp!

Is this a bug in Photos? Has anyone else seen this? I'm perplexed!

Thanks,

Thad

PS: It could be that it's only my bursts that are off.

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 6:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 12:00 AM

I don't have any bursts in my Photos Library for testing, but when I am duplicating a photo, that has GPS coordinates, photos is changing the timezone to the local timezone, where the photo has been taken. I noticed this only after the macOS 12.1 update.

For example, the original image. I took it with the camera timezone set to UTC (GMT+0), and adjusted the timezone in Photos accordingly to reflect the camera time zone:

• The date set by the came has been July 29, 2010, 04:08:29 GMT, and the original is showing this date.
  • The duplicate is showing July 28, 2010, 18:08:29 GMT-10.

Whenever I duplicate a photo I now have to remember to set the timezone back to UTC, to have a linear timeline across all cameras and locations.

The original: Photos is showing the date and time correctly, after telling Photos that the camera timezone has been UTC.

I duplicated the photo with ⌘D and the copy has a changed time zone. It is now the local time zone for Hawaii, and the date and time have been converted accordingly. In the Info local time of Hawaii is shown:

This can be very confusing, if we do not change the System preferences so the time zone suffix will be appended to the time.

I suspect, that the duplicates in the bursts are treated similar to the duplicated photos.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2021 12:00 AM in response to HawaiiThad

I don't have any bursts in my Photos Library for testing, but when I am duplicating a photo, that has GPS coordinates, photos is changing the timezone to the local timezone, where the photo has been taken. I noticed this only after the macOS 12.1 update.

For example, the original image. I took it with the camera timezone set to UTC (GMT+0), and adjusted the timezone in Photos accordingly to reflect the camera time zone:

• The date set by the came has been July 29, 2010, 04:08:29 GMT, and the original is showing this date.
  • The duplicate is showing July 28, 2010, 18:08:29 GMT-10.

Whenever I duplicate a photo I now have to remember to set the timezone back to UTC, to have a linear timeline across all cameras and locations.

The original: Photos is showing the date and time correctly, after telling Photos that the camera timezone has been UTC.

I duplicated the photo with ⌘D and the copy has a changed time zone. It is now the local time zone for Hawaii, and the date and time have been converted accordingly. In the Info local time of Hawaii is shown:

This can be very confusing, if we do not change the System preferences so the time zone suffix will be appended to the time.

I suspect, that the duplicates in the bursts are treated similar to the duplicated photos.

Dec 20, 2021 11:05 PM in response to HawaiiThad

Hi

Normally this is a timezone issue.

I notice your photo is taken in Hawaii - where are you when you export the image (Or, more importantly what is the timezone the computer set to)? The export will (I think) try to convert the capture time to local time. If for example the computer timezone is set to GMT then it would add 10 hours to the time. (If I understand correctly - it might go the other way around, I admit to being unclear exactly how this works).

This typically causes problems when you are away from home, and one camera/phone is recording location information, and another doesn't Then the photos taken on the two devices have different times set even when taken at the same time.

Wrong timestamp in Get Info window for many photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.