You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong picture date issue

Incorrect date displayed over the picture in Photo app.

When I bought new iPhone model I decided to synchronize all my photos from PC to an iPhone using iTunes. To do this right I manually added GPS location data, fixed taken date, added some labels, tags etc. I added dates to both EXIF and IPTC metadata using Adobe Lightroom. After I've synced all photos I started to struggle with dates. I tried manually change created, modified and accessed dates according to taken date. Near half of pictures still shows as Jan 20, 2015.

I've tried hard and couldn't find where this date could be (see attachments bellow).

I've even opened JPEG file in notepad and found many dates but found no any similar to Jan 20, 2015.

The only way it works for me.

1. Create new file in third party photo editor. Insert previously copied image from an existed file. Save new file.
  2. Append metadata using Lightroom.
  3. Change created, modified and accessed date using 3rd party software.

Done. But it is colossal time lost to do it manually for over 4k pictures.

Bottom-line. Where Photos app (or iPhone itself) could read this date from?

Thank you!

I'm using an iPhone 12 MGHF3LL/A with up to date 14.4 software version.

iTunes for Windows x64.

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 3:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 8:04 AM

Hello Andrii_Stasiuk,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! We understand your photos display the wrong date. We're happy to help in any way possible.

Let's make sure there are no updates for your PC or iTunes: Update iTunes on PC

Next make sure your date and time is correct on the iPhone and PC.

Close all of your apps and restart the iPhone and PC: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the issue persist, contact the developer of Adobe Lightroom since the photos were edited using their app: How to contact an app developer

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, and have a great day!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2021 8:04 AM in response to Andrii_Stasiuk

Hello Andrii_Stasiuk,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! We understand your photos display the wrong date. We're happy to help in any way possible.

Let's make sure there are no updates for your PC or iTunes: Update iTunes on PC

Next make sure your date and time is correct on the iPhone and PC.

Close all of your apps and restart the iPhone and PC: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the issue persist, contact the developer of Adobe Lightroom since the photos were edited using their app: How to contact an app developer

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, and have a great day!

Feb 19, 2021 6:07 AM in response to jdo_apple

Hello,

Thank you for response.

I was making experiments when suddenly found out that renaming files solves the problem. I've just appended "x" to all filenames of all "wrong dated" pictures and voila. However, renaming pictures back to previous don't cause a problem. Perhaps iPhone somehow indexes some pictures (by an obscure algorithm) and doesn't update some metadata after next syncing.

Wrong picture date issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.