You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Date/time stamps on some photos are wrong, from days to months or longer. Seems intermittent and indeterminate.

This date/time error on photos seems a bit random in terms of when/if it happens, although it often affects a series of photos. I don’t think it’s a timezone setting related problem, as it affects dates (like days, months or even a year off sometimes). The incorrect date time stamps vary in terms of how dar off they are (i.e. sometimes just days, but typically at least several months off, and can be a year or more off).

I am usually current on upgrades for IOS and apps, and I do have a lot of apps on my iPhone (more than 600). In any case, it sometimes happens right after taking a picture or group of pictures in sequence, where they effectively disappear from the latest/current day soon after taking the photo(s) and i later find that they are on a completely different date (usually months or more different).

I have searched online and see that some others have this happen, but I have not found a solution yet. These wrong date tags seem to sync across my photos areas with the wrong dates in-tact. I am typically using Camera, but it may happen with screenshots too (not positive about that, but since Inread that for some it can happen with screenshot images too, I am checking into that, and trying to test and pay attention to time/dates on screenshot images also.

As I said, it seems to happen somewhat randomly, but can definitely happen for a sequence (photos taken in a row). I am using an iPhone 12 Pro Max, with typically up to date versions of IOS installed. The problem started a few years ago (about 2020 or so), which leads me to think it’s related to the same issue some other IOS users are seeing. I am a software and IOS developer and use many of the common apps/tools on a fairly regular basis. Not sure if that matters, but it is the case.

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 7:54 AM

1 reply

Apr 30, 2023 5:32 PM in response to amdenis

Hi amdenis,

We'll be glad to address this with you further. From what you've described, it sounds like the date and time are not being recorded correctly on the photos. To resolve this, you can follow the steps outlined in Edit photos and videos on iPhone - Apple Support.

As far as why it is happening, we assume these are pictures made with your iPhone? If the date is incorrect, have you been able to confirm the date and time is set correctly on your iPhone? Are you using any sort of VPN or similar that could be potentially routing your traffic (signaling your iPhone that the date and time may possibly be different)?

Cheers.

Date/time stamps on some photos are wrong, from days to months or longer. Seems intermittent and indeterminate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.