You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the default diacritic type when pressing Option+ letter

Hey there community...

I'm struggling on my new macbook pro to sort something out and hope someone can help?

I'm trying to make the Option + letter type the macron, but currently it does the ring above the letter instead. Is there a way to change what the default diacritic is when doing the Option + letter?

I've already installed Maori in the Language and Region preferences, and this was all I needed to do on my old macbook to make it work. I've tried restarting, and that doesn't seem to reset it either.

What else do I need to do to be able to type macrons quickly? I use them often as I use many Maori words in my work.

I'm on a 2020 M1 Macbook pro with Big Sur 11.2.2

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 12, 2021 8:14 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 12, 2021 9:34 PM in response to Bren_O

Bren_O wrote:

I've already installed Maori in the Language and Region preferences

That's the wrong place. You need to add Maori in system preferences > keyboard > input sources.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/11.0/mac/11.0

and

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-the-keyboard-viewer-on-mac-mchlp1015/11.0/mac/11.0

May 12, 2021 8:31 PM in response to Bren_O

There is no way to change them. I'm not sure if a keystroke modifier would be able to.

However, you use a specific Option+letter for a particular diacritical, depending on your keyboard layout. You can then type the character you want to modify.

Option+e is used for ´ ; Option+I is used for ˆ; Option+e, i produces í

With the US Extended keyboard layout, you can generate a macron with Option+a. e.g., ō. On the normal US keyboard, Option+a produces å. You may need to see if there is an Extended Maori keyboard layout.

Additionally, you should just need to hold down the letter for a few seconds and a list of options will appear.

Changing the default diacritic type when pressing Option+ letter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.