You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 5K 2020 - Has the Thermal management been upgraded form the previous 27" IMacs.

With the latest 2020 Imac 27" I am curious to know if Apple has changed/upgraded the Thermal Management (Air flow and cooling) from the previous 27 Imac from 2012 on?

My current mid 2012 27" Imac has been upgraded to a 2 TB SSD (with in-Line Digital Thermal Sensor) and it currently runs around 50C when idling (which I believe is a little too high). I have a I7 quad core in this system.

Otherwise can someone tell me what is the min core temperature for their processor in that system (the 2020) (using the Intel Power Gadget) or another mid 2012 Imac with an I7.

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 10:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 12:59 PM

My idle temps are usually under 40ºC. My iMac is never shut down. I use it about 6 hours per day in an air-conditioned room in my home. Here's a snapshot of right now. I've been using it for about 4 hours since wake-from-sleep. Nothing really heavy today. Running Safari, Mail, VLC, and nine menubar utilities. No VPN. This would be considered pretty light usage, I think.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2020 12:59 PM in response to supergorf

My idle temps are usually under 40ºC. My iMac is never shut down. I use it about 6 hours per day in an air-conditioned room in my home. Here's a snapshot of right now. I've been using it for about 4 hours since wake-from-sleep. Nothing really heavy today. Running Safari, Mail, VLC, and nine menubar utilities. No VPN. This would be considered pretty light usage, I think.

Aug 23, 2020 1:03 PM in response to supergorf

I have just watched a 2020 Imac teardown video (2020 iMac Teardown Reveals Internal Changes and Similarities

) . It is basically the same as the 2019 for the thermal.

The lack of mechanical hard drive has left a large amount of unused free space within the machine. It is of note that Apple did not choose to implement the additional cooling present in the IMac Pro.

Another internal change is the additional microphone adhered to the bottom of the case, with the other microphone in the same position as previous years. The new 1080p webcam is attached to the LCD.

Imac 5K 2020 - Has the Thermal management been upgraded form the previous 27" IMacs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.