You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro CPU Heatsink upgrade?

Early 2008 - MA970LL/A - MacPro3,1 - A1186

Socket is LGA771, wondering if I can get a third party cooler that will work or is it integral to the SMC for the stock coolers to be present.

I don't have a Mac Pro currently, but I'm looking into buying a similar model for a project.

Are the stock coolers good enough as I'd be upgrading the CPU(s) to 2x6 Core Xeon X5482s bringing the total system cores to 12. I live in Singapore with the average daily temperature going from 27° - 33°C throughout the year it can get up to 35°/36°C. The average temperature in my room is 26°.

The use would be mostly gaming in bootcamp (CSGO, Minecraft, Halo Reach (MCC), Civ6, etc) rendering CADs in Autodesk 360, music production in Logic Pro and occasionally FL Studio 20.

Other Components:

512GB SSD SATA 3

RX 580 8GB

32GB (4*8GB) RAM

I'd be getting the unit for around 300 SGD which is 220 USD/295 CAD if anyone is curious about the price.

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 12:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 4:28 PM

The heatsink is a fairly standard Intel part that includes a temperature sensor and a captive fan. In that model the heat collected by the heatsink fins are blown out into the prevailing airflow. A micro controller speeds up the internal fans based on measured temperatures. If the micro-controller fails, the fans revert to maximum speed within seconds.

The only place to dump that heat is in the prevailing airstream. so there is no point in upgrading the heatsink, unless you are supplying chilled water or some other externally pre-cooled refrigerant, you cannot do substantially better that the heatsink it shipped with.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 7, 2019 4:28 PM in response to Skiffee_

The heatsink is a fairly standard Intel part that includes a temperature sensor and a captive fan. In that model the heat collected by the heatsink fins are blown out into the prevailing airflow. A micro controller speeds up the internal fans based on measured temperatures. If the micro-controller fails, the fans revert to maximum speed within seconds.

The only place to dump that heat is in the prevailing airstream. so there is no point in upgrading the heatsink, unless you are supplying chilled water or some other externally pre-cooled refrigerant, you cannot do substantially better that the heatsink it shipped with.

Mac Pro CPU Heatsink upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.