You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heatsink vs Temperature diode difference Mac Pro (mid) 2012 12core 5680 3.33 Ghz CPU's

My question is this:

I'm wondering what the temperature difference should be between the Heatsink & Temperature Diode, (under near 100% load on CPU A and 30 - 50% load on processors B) is normal, the Heatsinks are clean and clear of dust and dirt, (clean them on a regular basis) or is it time to look at replacing the thermal paste on the CPU's?

I realize the MMU is also using the Heatsink for processor A for heat dissipation as well and would expect a higher temperature on "A"

What are the rest of you that have a 5680 xeon, in a Mac Pro (mid) 2012 12core 5680 seeing?

CPU A shows the following:

Heatsink - 126F/51C

Diode - 185F/85C

60 degree difference

CPU B shows the following:

Heatsink - 124F/51C

Diode - 151F/66C

about a 30 degree difference

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 1:09 PM

6 replies

Nov 14, 2019 9:54 AM in response to kellyfromut

UPDATE:

I replaced the thermal past on both the CPU's and the Northbridge chip. Here are the results, and they are impressive!

These temperatures are running at full load on CPU A, and 40% load on CPU B, using Handbrake, encoding an 1080p program.

Thermal Paste used: Arctic MX-4

CPU A shows the following:

Heatsink - 130F/55C

Diode - 157F/67C

27F/12C degree difference, (53% reduction in temperature difference between the heatsink and diode, from prior readings.)

[thermal past was dry when opened for replacement.]

CPU B shows the following:

Heatsink - 122F/50C

Diode - 147F/64C

About a 25F/14C degree difference, (12% reduction in temperature difference between the heatsink and diode, from prior readings.)

[thermal past was still wet when opened for replacement.]

Processor cage & heatsink fan speeds changes:

Before thermal paste replacement:

CPU A&B boost fans, (3200 rpm)

Intake/Exhaust fans, (2000 rpm)

After thermal past replacement:

CPU A&B boost fans, (2496 rpm)

Intake/Exhaust fans, (1279 rpm)

Sep 30, 2019 1:22 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks danallenhouston

It looks like your test, if I'm reading it right, shows a 14C difference at full load between the heatsink & CPU "A".

That is way different than mine and worries me.

I'm using handbrake to encode 1080p video, which is what is putting the heavy load on my CPU "A", I'm seeing a 33C difference between heatsink & Diode on CPU "A"

So the question about replacing the thermal paste seems to be yes.

Anyone else out there concur?

Thanks again danallenhouston.

PS: Grant, yes you are correct, we are talking about the same part.

Sep 30, 2019 8:05 AM in response to kellyfromut

I tried to do this in a way so you can see the temperature differentials you asked about.

Default settings are what the fans run at without a utility controlling them.

"Usual" settings are the settings I run with MacFans. There are more temperatures to control than fans, some fans affect multiple temperatures and there are various priorities I made up based mostly on ignorance and theories.

On occasion, I encode 4K video using iMovie and another utility that is cheap. On those occasions I run the fans near max values shown in these pictures. I had a MBP die from heat stroke, and have become hypersensitive about computer heat as a result.

Nov 24, 2019 11:19 AM in response to kellyfromut

Another Update

After running the processors for 10 days, (at full load, described in above post) things have improved even more.

[FYI: running fans with TG Pro set at above 145° / CPU A / 33% fan speed. There are more settings, higher and lower, but this is the one that the Mac settles at.]

Here's the temperature/fan speed stats:

Logic Board Ambient: 85° F / 29° C

CPU A Diode: 143° F / 68° C

CPU A Heatsink: 126° F/ 52° C

CPU B Diode: 136° F / 58° C

CPU B Heatsink: 117° F / 47° C

North Bridge Diode:149° F / 65° C

North Bridge Heatsink: 120° F / 49° C

CPU A&B boost fans, (2137 rpm)

Intake/Exhaust fans, (1152 rpm)

Heatsink vs Temperature diode difference Mac Pro (mid) 2012 12core 5680 3.33 Ghz CPU's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.