You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

21.5 inch 2012 iMac ssd upgrade

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my 21.5 inch 2012 iMac with an ssd. I was wondering if anyone knew wether you need a new thermal sensor for the ssd once you have upgraded. Can someone please help?

Mark.

Posted on May 16, 2021 5:26 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 16, 2021 9:22 AM in response to M_W_D

+1 on Jack's advice.

If you have the standard mechanical HD now, the speed difference between an internal and external SSD on a 2012 iMac is small enough to be virtually indistinguishable from each other in real-world use. Any difference would never be worth the considerable risk and expense of opening a computer Apple did not intend to be opened.

May 16, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Allan Jones

I am upgrading the ram anyway as it only has 8gb. I was going to upgrade the hdd to an ssd as internal ones are also slightly cheaper. I don’t mind the slight extra hassle as I will be removing the logic board anyway. I just wanted to know if I needed a new thermal sensor for the ssd and if the fan will ramp up.

21.5 inch 2012 iMac ssd upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.