You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking an iPhone from US carrier

Hi there! God I hope you guys can help me. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I purchased an iPhone XR for my daughter from KIJIJI and it’s doesn’t support her SIM card. Come to find out, it’s locked under a US carrier and I don’t have any information regarding the initial owner (I live in Canada). The phone is NOT on the black market. I have double checked. Please help me!!! I’m desperate! No one seems to be able to help me.

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 7:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 7:14 AM

In this case, you will need to arm yourself with information and help yourself. What you know is that your iPhone is locked to a US carrier. You do not need the previous owner's information however if you had it then you could have just called him/her and figured out which carrier it is locked to.

If the carrier name is not under Settings then what you will need to do is call all 4 major US carriers. I know there are several MVNO type carriers as well but start with the big four. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. Look up their support numbers from Google and call them. Tell them that your iPhone may be locked to their network and how can they unlock it. You will need your iPhone's serial and/or IMEI number.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2020 7:14 AM in response to Mbtin

In this case, you will need to arm yourself with information and help yourself. What you know is that your iPhone is locked to a US carrier. You do not need the previous owner's information however if you had it then you could have just called him/her and figured out which carrier it is locked to.

If the carrier name is not under Settings then what you will need to do is call all 4 major US carriers. I know there are several MVNO type carriers as well but start with the big four. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. Look up their support numbers from Google and call them. Tell them that your iPhone may be locked to their network and how can they unlock it. You will need your iPhone's serial and/or IMEI number.

Axel F.

Unlocking an iPhone from US carrier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.