You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iTunes app not registering playlist name changes MBP Sonoma 14.6.1 (Family Sharing Off)

I rename my playlists in iTunes and sometimes it'll even show it changed in the middle of screen if you click on the playlist but never in the sidebar? I've rebooted, restarted, made sure Family Sharing is off...I'm out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2024 6:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 12:57 PM

Playlist problem complaints are proliferating on Apple Discussions and Reddit. 14.7.1 (non-beta) came out last night. It also does not fix the problem. I heard the same was true for the latest Sequia. I'm feeling quite depressed at this point, since Music/iTunes is a critical part of my music production workflow, let alone listening habits.

27 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2024 12:57 PM in response to alanblack

Playlist problem complaints are proliferating on Apple Discussions and Reddit. 14.7.1 (non-beta) came out last night. It also does not fix the problem. I heard the same was true for the latest Sequia. I'm feeling quite depressed at this point, since Music/iTunes is a critical part of my music production workflow, let alone listening habits.

Aug 18, 2024 4:20 PM in response to alanblack

Thanks for taking the time to give this feedback to my issue.

It makes me feel sane knowing it’s not just me as I researched lots & tried every fix I could find etc…

And it simultaneously sucks knowing it’s looking like a software issue from Apple.

As you said, Apple fix this ASAP please. We can’t operate like this.

Aug 19, 2024 6:20 PM in response to alanblack

My situation is just getting worse now. I bought over 20 new tracks from Beatport (I'm a DJ so this is def not a cool experience to say the least) put them in an iTunes folder to process and then open my Serato DJ program as I've done for almost 20yrs now and the folder and songs didn't show up. I rebooted and lost all of my songs that I had just put in that folder along with the folder itself. At least that case appeared to let me put the songs in iTunes initially because I gave them all key info before they dissappeared....now I just tried to add a new song to iTunes and it won't accept the song period.

I'm guessing we're not the only ones with issues and I certainly hope Apple helps correct these issues ASAP.

That's my update for today...unfortunately no good news as of yet.

C2

Sep 28, 2024 12:40 PM in response to ChazTwo

Some updates you might be interested in....got a brand new 2024 MacBook Pro. And most of the same troubles with Apple Music/iTunes are there just as they were on my 2019 model. Very distressing. Something is inherently wrong with my music library or with the current version of the app, I suppose. But here's something I've found that might be a help to you. ----- You have 2 playlists folders, Folder 1 and Folder 2. Folder 1 has Playlist A. You delete the tracks in Playlist A and delete the Playlist itself...but it doesn't disappear and can't be manipulated. But what you can do is move Folder 1 into Folder 2, and then back to its own spot...and the deleted/not deleted playlist is now gone. Also, if you rename Playlist A to Playlist B and the header or sidebar doesn't reflect this change, do the same thing. Move Playlist B (or the whole of Folder 1) into Folder 2 and then back...and poof, the changes take place (you do, I should note, also have to leave the playlist and and come back to it for the visual representation of the name change to appear). HUGELY DUMB but a workaround nonetheless. Hope this helps, ChazTwo.

Oct 21, 2024 11:42 AM in response to ChazTwo

ChazTwo: Have you tried my solution? I've heard it's working for everyone who has tried it. In short, to create, rename, or delete a playlist, it MUST have an image assigned. You either have to add your own (drag the image on the "+" area), or (in cases where auto-generated images are suggested) you can select one. If you fail to add or select an image while creating, renaming, or deleting a playlist, you will not be able to attempt it again until you restart the Music app. You cannot do it wrong, then try to do it right. You must do it right, from the beginning.

Aug 19, 2024 7:11 PM in response to ChazTwo

That sucks big time, C2. I found, earlier today, that I couldn't import an album. I tried to import like usual ... and nothing. Then I checked for the source/imported files in the usual iTunes Finder location, and there was the album. So the iTunes interface isn't displaying what has actually been imported. In other words, the words have gone into the brain but the face isn't displaying the knowledge. ....I then selected the album's tracks in Finder and chose to Open them in iTunes, and then they appeared as imported tracks in iTunes, in the main songs list.

I've decided to not do anything new in iTunes until things are sorted. No adding tracks, no deleting them, no changing tracks info, no new playlists, no syncing my phone. I also found I can't even duplicate a playlist. Insanity.

Take it easy, C2. And Apple: PLEASE LISTEN AND FIX!

Aug 20, 2024 12:03 PM in response to ChazTwo

Hey C2 -- a question for you. You mentioned you're a DJ. I used to make mashups on Garageband and just opened GB for the first time in a long time about a day or two before everything started acting broken. I just wondered if maybe you and I use some other app that might've contributed to things going wrong. Maybe Audio Hijack? Cheers.

Oct 18, 2024 10:27 AM in response to alanblack

Here's an big update:

Since I have a 2019 model and a new 2024 (that I used Migration to absorb all the 2019's info) and both are riddled with Apple Music app troubles, I decided to factory reset the 2019 and see how the Apple Music app performs after that.

I did it a few days ago. So far, the Apple Music app works perfectly. I fully updated to Sequoia after the reset. Then I connected the two MacBooks by Wi-Fi, NOT Migration, and transferred all of my 55,000 music tracks to the reset 2019 MacBook. Everything works perfectly, no bugs at all. I can only assumed that what was originally buggy on the 2019 model got transferred to the 2024 model through Migration. But the bugs shouldn't have existed in the first place.

I realize this is no good solution for most people. But this is what happened. I'll update again soon after giving it more time to (hopefully not) go bad again.

I also intend, once the 2019 model proves completely un-bugged, to factory reset the 2024 model and then return all music tracks to it...and all my files...and re-set all my settings. HUGE time investment.

iTunes app not registering playlist name changes MBP Sonoma 14.6.1 (Family Sharing Off)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.