You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text message defaults to email, not Android phone number

With most of my text messages, I begin writing the message recipient’s name & the message automatically directs to their mobile number. However, every so often it defaults to their email address only, even though I have both in their contact listing. The only way to fix this problem that I found was sending a message to another iPhone. I am sending to an Android phone. I can I correct this?

using IOS 16.5.1 (c)

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 5:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 12:23 AM

Hi gary_bradshaw,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Seems the Messages app sends Text imessages by wi-fi from Apple to Apple devices.

However SMS / MMS to Android phones must go by cellular data, and can only do so if your settings permit this.

Apple support have articles online (links below) to help with details:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (NB Cellular data plan / rates / might apply.)

More info. if needed:

Messages Support Website (info / support / contact):

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), of their website (link below)

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2023 12:23 AM in response to gary_bradshaw

Hi gary_bradshaw,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Seems the Messages app sends Text imessages by wi-fi from Apple to Apple devices.

However SMS / MMS to Android phones must go by cellular data, and can only do so if your settings permit this.

Apple support have articles online (links below) to help with details:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (NB Cellular data plan / rates / might apply.)

More info. if needed:

Messages Support Website (info / support / contact):

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), of their website (link below)

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Text message defaults to email, not Android phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.