You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

GarageBand for Mac: Mic audio cuts out on vocal track - but works fine in Logic Pro, Voice Memos, etc.

Symptom: When using GarageBand since early Sept. 2024, talking or singing into the mic (whether built-in or an external XLR > USB3 audio interface > MacBook Pro), the audio fades out and back in on a track.

It's almost as if there was a sort of "random noise gate" applied. (It seems to happen at higher pitches, but not exclusively.)

• Happens over playback and when recording.
  • I've added nothing new to GB in a long time (nor other system plug-ins or apps).
  • Tracks can have NO effects or plug-ins, including Master track, for this to occur.
  • Happens in existing and new song files. 
  • Occurs even with...
    • No peripherals or cables connected to the MBP, 
    • All other apps closed, and 
    • Bluetooth off (Activity Monitor doesn't yield clues, either). 
  • Occurs in new GB projects, even with Audio Units disabled.
  • Repeatedly rebooted, checked for updates, etc. Nothing's helped.
  • SSD has > 500GB free.

Here's the thing...

When I tested this in Logic Pro with built-in mic and the XLR, the issue doesn't occur. (I use GB over Logic Pro for simple stuff, and I have a lot there that I'd rather not import into Logic Pro and tweak.)

I also tested this in Voice Memos and it worked fine. 

But upon relaunching GB, the issue returned. (I use GB over Logic Pro for simple stuff, and I have a lot there that I'd rather not import into Logic Pro and tweak.)

Having isolated this to GarageBand (again, with all peripherals unplugged and using on the built-in mic), I'm at a loss as to what's causing this (and not in other mic-ready apps).

This only started happening since around the first or second week of September 2024. I think there was a Sonoma security update that happened in there somewhere, but I can't recall.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

MacOS Sonoma 16.4.1

MacBook Pro M2 w/40GB Ram, 2TB SSD (500GB+ free).

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 10:33 AM

4 replies

GarageBand for Mac: Mic audio cuts out on vocal track - but works fine in Logic Pro, Voice Memos, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.