You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring files from Powerbook Duo 210 and Duo 2300c

Also have Minidock with a number of ports shown in photo. Any alternatives to trying to use floppy discs as discussed previously in this form in 2016?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 2, 2024 10:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2024 4:09 AM

Thank you for the information.

Yes, something like that could work if a CD drive in or connected to the G3 Wallstreet can burn a disc. The standard drive was a read-only CD-ROM.

You may have to reformat the Zip disk. Plain HFS = Mac OS Standard is needed for the Duo 210. The Duo 2300c can use HFS+ = Mac OS Extended, but only if running Mac OS 8.1 or higher. So, use Mac OS Standard.

Macintosh PowerBook Duo 210: Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Macintosh PowerBook Duo 2300c/100: Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Since the G3 Wallstreet has a Printer/Modem port, an alternative to the Zip may be to use a MiniDIN-8 to MiniDIN-8 Macintosh printer cable (if the G3 is running Mac OS 8.x or 9.x). That is, a simplified LocalTalk network. The exact operating system versions involved may be a limiting factor, though. You could use the same method between the two Duos.

Instead of a CD, you could make use of one of the G3 Wallstreet's PC Card slots for transfers between that machine and a more modern Mac. You could buy an inexpensive PC Card adapter for CompactFlash, and then use a CompactFlash memory card for transfers. At the receiving end, a USB memory card reader can be used. If an SD card is preferred (or another memory card type), there are also PC Card adapters (such as 6-in-1) for multiple cards.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 3, 2024 4:09 AM in response to gcreasey

Thank you for the information.

Yes, something like that could work if a CD drive in or connected to the G3 Wallstreet can burn a disc. The standard drive was a read-only CD-ROM.

You may have to reformat the Zip disk. Plain HFS = Mac OS Standard is needed for the Duo 210. The Duo 2300c can use HFS+ = Mac OS Extended, but only if running Mac OS 8.1 or higher. So, use Mac OS Standard.

Macintosh PowerBook Duo 210: Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Macintosh PowerBook Duo 2300c/100: Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Since the G3 Wallstreet has a Printer/Modem port, an alternative to the Zip may be to use a MiniDIN-8 to MiniDIN-8 Macintosh printer cable (if the G3 is running Mac OS 8.x or 9.x). That is, a simplified LocalTalk network. The exact operating system versions involved may be a limiting factor, though. You could use the same method between the two Duos.

Instead of a CD, you could make use of one of the G3 Wallstreet's PC Card slots for transfers between that machine and a more modern Mac. You could buy an inexpensive PC Card adapter for CompactFlash, and then use a CompactFlash memory card for transfers. At the receiving end, a USB memory card reader can be used. If an SD card is preferred (or another memory card type), there are also PC Card adapters (such as 6-in-1) for multiple cards.

Jul 3, 2024 3:02 PM in response to gcreasey

Yes, AppleTalk must be enabled. Some sharing setup differences depending on system version. You may find details in the (balloon) help system.

Normal file sharing (LocalTalk) using MiniDIN to USB would not work.

As BDAqua indicated, one could connect a USB-to-serial (such as RS-232) adapter to a more modern computer. Via appropriate cables/adapters, it should be possible to set up a null-modem connection to a Duo. Terminal emulator software with file transfer capabilities would be used on both sides (for a Duo, perhaps something like Terminal 2.2).

However, a G3 Wallstreet as an intermediary is probably easier and much faster.

Jul 2, 2024 4:05 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Many thanks, Jan,

I wish to transfer the files to a MacBook Pro 2019 running Sonoma 14.5, but I have other MacBooks I could transfer to.

The difficulty is getting the files off the older machines (Powerbook Duo).

I have a G3 Wallstreet with a Zip drive and a CD drive, and I think I may have a freestanding SCSI Zip drive somewhere. If so, I guess I could plug the Zip drive into the Duo, the put the Zip disc into the G3, then burn a CD...

Transferring files from Powerbook Duo 210 and Duo 2300c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.