You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use the single USB-C for transfering files to a new MacBook Pro?

Normally when transferring files to a new computer one cable is plugged in for transferring and the other is plugged into power. Since the MacBook only has one port how do I do this? Even if it were to be charged up to 100% I don't think it would last for an long to convert 400GB over to my new machine?

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 21, 2020 7:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 12:14 PM

pik80 wrote:

Neither computer has ethernet...

This is where getting an USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter would come in handy for things like this.

I back up my MacBook to a Time Capsule. Can I do the transfer from go from Time Capsule to the new computer?

Yes, you could using Migration Assistant on your new Mac to retrieve the data from a Time Machine backup on a Time Capsule.

Ref: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 21, 2020 12:14 PM in response to pik80

pik80 wrote:

Neither computer has ethernet...

This is where getting an USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter would come in handy for things like this.

I back up my MacBook to a Time Capsule. Can I do the transfer from go from Time Capsule to the new computer?

Yes, you could using Migration Assistant on your new Mac to retrieve the data from a Time Machine backup on a Time Capsule.

Ref: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

May 21, 2020 12:45 PM in response to Tesserax

Time Capsule seems like the way to go. I think our Ethernet is down, it's all some high speed WiFi connection they switched to. Time capsule just looks the most straight forward. It may take a couple days to do 400gb over wifi but the other ways just don't seem workable.

@Apfelkopf My storage device is USB-C as well. Probably best to transfer all the files over Time Capsule.

How do I use the single USB-C for transfering files to a new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.