You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility minimum size for a partition is much higher than the amount of data there is on it

I am trying to partition the drive, and I am only using 201/500 Gb of storage, but in disk utility it only allows me to access around 10 Gb to add to a new partition. It says the minum size ism 484 Gb. Is there any way to change this?

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 8:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 8:38 PM

Ackbarthechicken Said:

"than the amount of data there is on it: I am trying to partition the drive, and I am only using 201/500 Gb of storage, but in disk utility it only allows me to access around 10 Gb to add to a new partition. It says the minum size ism 484 Gb. Is there any way to change this?"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Perform Partitioning in Recovery Mode:

You are logged in as a user. So, perform this using Disk Utility while booted in Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon)

IMPORTANT:

Back Up the Mac First:

Prior to installing any mainient in Disk Utility, alway backup your Mac. Start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the partitioning. Go Here: Back Up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 30, 2023 8:38 PM in response to Ackbarthechicken

Ackbarthechicken Said:

"than the amount of data there is on it: I am trying to partition the drive, and I am only using 201/500 Gb of storage, but in disk utility it only allows me to access around 10 Gb to add to a new partition. It says the minum size ism 484 Gb. Is there any way to change this?"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Perform Partitioning in Recovery Mode:

You are logged in as a user. So, perform this using Disk Utility while booted in Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon)

IMPORTANT:

Back Up the Mac First:

Prior to installing any mainient in Disk Utility, alway backup your Mac. Start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the partitioning. Go Here: Back Up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Disk utility minimum size for a partition is much higher than the amount of data there is on it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.