You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much can I adjust a partition's size on a Hard disk

When using Apples Disk Utility, what are the limits to how much you can RE-size already defined partitions on a remote hard disk?

iMac

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 7:59 AM

Resizing multiple partitions can be tricky. The number of partitions and the size of each partition should be carefully considered before partitioning any drive.

What I suggest at this point, is to copy what you want to save to another drive, then erase, reformat and re-partition that drive.

Personally I would never do more that two partitions on a 1T drive and would use another drive if I had the need for more storage spaces or backups.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2023 7:59 AM in response to ottawaron

Resizing multiple partitions can be tricky. The number of partitions and the size of each partition should be carefully considered before partitioning any drive.

What I suggest at this point, is to copy what you want to save to another drive, then erase, reformat and re-partition that drive.

Personally I would never do more that two partitions on a 1T drive and would use another drive if I had the need for more storage spaces or backups.

Feb 20, 2023 8:05 PM in response to den.thed

That's what I thought—and in fact, I did that with two of the 4 partitions— I actually brought them down in size— (which worked perfectly)... so that would give me even more room to make a third section, larger than it was. But when I tried to make the third one larger: it wouldn't budge, even a single megabyte larger— even though I still have better than 200 GB to spare, on the entire (4-partitioned) drive! Is there a slot here that I can attach a screen shot? ...that shows a schematic of the (WD 1-terabyte) drive? I also just saw tonight, someone else's answer: that any given partition cannot be enlarged from the physical start-point of that sector (...not sure where that link was, but can eventually find it again!)... Have you ever come across that opinion before? Anyway: I tried dragging the RE-size control points from the bottom, OR the top: : but it just wouldn't budge !

How much can I adjust a partition's size on a Hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.