You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth speaker connects then drops the connection on Mac mini M2

I have an Anker bluetooth speaker that has given me faithful service for the last few years. I had it on my AppleTV where it connected through Bluetooth with no problem.

I purchased a refurbished M2 8GB/256GB a little over a month ago. I moved the bluetooth speaker from the AppleTV and started using it on the MacMini. It initially worked without issue but after the last update, it shows up in the bluetooth device list, connects when I click on connect and then with less than 10 seconds drops the connection.

M2 MacMini - 8GB/256GB with Ventura 13.5.2

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 8:51 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 14, 2023 5:42 PM in response to CitizenX

Hey there CitizenX,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

To get started, if having issues with your Bluetooth speaker disconnecting unexpectedly from your Mac, give the steps listed in the following resource a try that can help troubleshoot the issue: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Symptoms of wireless interference
Any of these symptoms could be caused by interference affecting the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth signal:
* Device doesn't connect or stay connected
* Connection is slow and signal strengthNo alt supplied for Image is low
* Bluetooth audio skips, stutters, cuts off, or has static or buzzing
* Pointer movement is erratic or jumpy

If the issue persists after going through the steps above, do you have any issues with your Bluetooth speaker if you try reconnecting it to your Apple TV, or if you try connecting another Bluetooth device to your Mac mini?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Take care!

Sep 16, 2023 7:34 AM in response to CitizenX

Greetings CitizenX,

To help isolate the issue, test and see if the behavior occurs while using a different macOS user account. Check out those steps here: Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Add a user
1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Users & Groups  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
2. Click the Add Account button below the list of users on the right (you may be asked to enter your password.)
3. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.

Kind regards.

Sep 14, 2023 6:11 PM in response to Chris_V89

It worked fine with the AppleTV in the bedroom, the AppleTV in the living room and the new MacMini for about 2 weeks. For each of those devices, the speaker was within inches of the device it was paired to. It is about an inch from the MacMini. The connection worked until I updated to 13.5.2. there was a short period of time where I wasn't on the computer so I have to assume it started as soon as I did the update.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse on the MacMini that give me no issues. The Mouse is a Microsoft mouse 6300 andd the keyboard is a Logitech triple use keyboard that can connect to 3 devices. It currently is only paired to the MacMini.

Sep 15, 2023 9:54 AM in response to CitizenX

Hello CitizenX,

Thanks for that info. See if it still connects to those other devices that are not running the update.

If not, since other BT devices DO work with the Mac, and since it's a couple years old device, we would recommend contacting the manufacturer for repair options.

You can also try purchasing a new BT speaker that is designed to work with macOS 13.5.2 and newer. Keep the receipt in case it also doesn't work, but for the moment, we know other devices connect and stay connected to your new Mac, which means the BT there and on your other devices, work properly. All indications point to it being something isolated with that speaker. And since it's no longer working on the other devices not running the same macOS, and it's a few years old, it's possible it's that device only.

Until we know new devices specifically designed to work with macOS 13 and newer also do not work, we have to assume they will. The timing with the update is merely coincidental. Thanks.

bluetooth speaker connects then drops the connection on Mac mini M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.