You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memoji button missing from iPad since upgrading to OS 16.6. It was showing and working before the upgrade.

My Memoji button is missing from my iPad (messages and FaceTime) ever since upgrading to OS 16.6.

It was showing and working before the upgrade. I’m referring to the animated Memojis that work with face recognition.

iPad Air 3

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 11:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 6:08 PM

Thanks Vilas

I see my iPad is not in the list you shared. have an iPad Air, but the feature was working until I’ve updated the software. Memoji was definitely compatible until last week.

Does this mean that as part of the last OS update (16.6) Apple actively removed the feature for any models other than Pro?

If that’s the case I wish I knew before updating.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2023 6:08 PM in response to Vilas_S

Thanks Vilas

I see my iPad is not in the list you shared. have an iPad Air, but the feature was working until I’ve updated the software. Memoji was definitely compatible until last week.

Does this mean that as part of the last OS update (16.6) Apple actively removed the feature for any models other than Pro?

If that’s the case I wish I knew before updating.

Aug 8, 2023 11:11 AM in response to Vivianuchi

Hey Vivianuchi,

Memoji is a great feature! Have you checked to see if you can add it back by editing your favorites? Those steps can be found under "Manage iMessage apps" here: Use iMessage apps on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Manage iMessage apps

You can add apps to your Favorites so you have quick access to them in the app drawer. You can also reorder apps in the app drawer, remove the ones you don’t want, and more. Here’s how:

1. From the app drawer, swipe left and tap the More button more icon.
2. Tap Edit in the upper-left corner to do the following:
* To add an app to your Favorites, tap the Add button Add button.
* To remove an app from Favorites, tap the Remove button Remove button, then tap Remove from Favorites.
* To reorder apps in the app drawer, touch and hold the gray lines three lines icon, then move the apps in the order that you want.
* To hide an app, turn it off.
7. Tap Done.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

Aug 8, 2023 1:15 PM in response to Vivianuchi

Hello Vivianuchi,

Thank you for keeping us updated. If you want to use the animated Memoji feature for Messages, you'll need to make sure you're using a compatible iPad model: Use Memoji on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

How to use an animated Memoji in Messages
1. Make sure that you have a compatible iPhone or iPad Pro.
iPad
* iPad Pro 12.9-inch (6th generation)
* iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
* iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
* iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
* iPad Pro 11-inch (4th generation)
* iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
* iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
* iPad Pro 11-inch

If your iPad isn't listed, this feature will not be available. However, if your iPad is listed, there's couple of basic steps you can try to follow to help troubleshoot this issue:

1.) Close the Messages app: Close an app on your iPad - Apple Support

2.) Refresh things by restarting your iPad: Restart your iPad - Apple Support

If these steps don't help you, please reach out to Apple Support for help. Use this link to reach them: Get Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Aug 9, 2023 12:41 AM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric, thanks for your input. Contrary to what Apple says, and what I’ve been reading everywhere as well. I have been using the animated Memojis (yes, following the movement of my face) on my iPad Air 3rd generation. It does not come w/Face ID, but it does have is the frontal camera required for it.

The animated Memojis appeared after an OS update so I assumed they were part of it; I’ve been using them both with iMessages and FaceTime ever since, and they disappeared in the last OS update last week.

I can see now that that wasn’t Apple’s intention, it might have been a glitch on their end, as I’ve been reading everywhere exactly what you’re saying, that they only work with iPad Pro with Face ID. I had a different experience for a few months, but this has been ‘rectified’ in the last update.

My thoughts are that this feature could be used with devices with a frontal camera. As a matter of fact I’ve used a very similar feature in the past to animate a face on a PC using After Effects (nothing too complex, only a frontal camera required). I’ll consider this thread resolved. Thanks.

Aug 8, 2023 6:32 PM in response to Vivianuchi

Hello Vivianuchi,

The update did not remove the option for ANIMATED Memoji on your device, as it was never possible. Only the mentioned models above have Face ID, and no iPad Air models have Face ID: iPad Air

Now, you do have the option for the standard Memoji: Use Memoji on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

The update very possibly could have cause it to not show, but as we mentioned above, it's easy to add back. Restart your device: Restart your iPad - Apple Support

Manage iMessage apps

You can add apps to your Favorites so you have quick access to them in the app drawer. You can also reorder apps in the app drawer, remove the ones you don’t want, and more. Here’s how:

1. From the app drawer, swipe left and tap the More button more icon.
2. Tap Edit in the upper-left corner to do the following:
* To add an app to your Favorites, tap the Add button Add button.
* To remove an app from Favorites, tap the Remove button Remove button, then tap Remove from Favorites.
* To reorder apps in the app drawer, touch and hold the gray lines three lines icon, then move the apps in the order that you want.
* To hide an app, turn it off.
7. Tap Done.

Or, is it possible you have an iPad Pro? Then it might have been possible, we are just using the info provided above as part of your profile here. In that case, if you still don't see the option to add your Memoji back, check if you are using a different keyboard: Add or change keyboards on iPad - Apple Support

Third-party keyboards or specific types, might not allow the addition of the app drawer or other features.

If you still have issues, please contact Apple Support to investigate this with you further: Get Support.

Thanks.

Memoji button missing from iPad since upgrading to OS 16.6. It was showing and working before the upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.