You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW TO WATCH question on APPLE TV

i have the Apple TV app on my smart tv. I have some shows and movies in UP NEXT that I cannot watch because when I click HOW TO WATCH it says to buy, rent or subscribe. I already subscribe to Apple TV, it does show where to buy or rent the show/movie. I don’t understand how this works.

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 10:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 11:39 AM

The Apple TV app can access more than Apple TV+ subscription content alone. That other content will have to be paid for separately. Perhaps you assumed the show or movie was part of Apple TV+, when it was not? The Up Next queue list allows adding titles that have not been purchased yet, or from services that have not been subscribed to yet. The How to Watch text was supposed to convey this situation. You may recognize the Apple TV+ content from the logo in the corner of tiles, or by filtering through the use of the tv+ tab in the app.

With the Apple TV app on your smart TV, you can access:

Unfortunately, not all platforms allow in-app financial transactions at this time. That means that for those platforms, the subscribing or buying or renting part will have to be done on a different supported device (e.g. iPhone). After that, the content will be available on your initial device (TV) as well, from linking to the Apple ID account.

2. On Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Sony TV devices, you can't purchase content from the Apple TV app. You can buy, rent, or subscribe on another supported device and then watch in the Apple TV app on your Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, or Sony TV device. [2]

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2023 11:39 AM in response to Carmenshue

The Apple TV app can access more than Apple TV+ subscription content alone. That other content will have to be paid for separately. Perhaps you assumed the show or movie was part of Apple TV+, when it was not? The Up Next queue list allows adding titles that have not been purchased yet, or from services that have not been subscribed to yet. The How to Watch text was supposed to convey this situation. You may recognize the Apple TV+ content from the logo in the corner of tiles, or by filtering through the use of the tv+ tab in the app.

With the Apple TV app on your smart TV, you can access:

Unfortunately, not all platforms allow in-app financial transactions at this time. That means that for those platforms, the subscribing or buying or renting part will have to be done on a different supported device (e.g. iPhone). After that, the content will be available on your initial device (TV) as well, from linking to the Apple ID account.

2. On Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Sony TV devices, you can't purchase content from the Apple TV app. You can buy, rent, or subscribe on another supported device and then watch in the Apple TV app on your Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, or Sony TV device. [2]

HOW TO WATCH question on APPLE TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.