You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Feature: Notifications for low-battery on Magic Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse

I contacted Apple Support and got a confirmation that this isn't a bug. It's literally a missing feature, deliberately removed. Yes, you can monitor the battery levels on input devices via the Bluetooth menu. But it's easy enough to just forget to check, and then when you try to for example wake a sleeping Mac only to have nothing happen because the input device you're using has a flatlined battery.

I'm going to try to file a feedback report, but I can only imagine plenty of others are irked at this feature-removal. The more people who complain, the more likely Apple is to restore this feature.

Mac Studio, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 10:55 AM

3 replies

Mar 16, 2023 3:15 PM in response to ericmurphysf

Yikes! This seems a bit nuts in the age of devices that have advances such as biometric features we have to create reminders to check charge levels. Using a mouse and keyboard on a desktop is table stakes. Tried to get on a Zoom call today on my desktop and failed because there was no juice in my mouse or keyboard and I had no idea. Please let me know if there's any utility in filing another "feature" request wit Apple

Mar 16, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Mamacita303

And you know the weird thing is that the support technician had me on hold for about twenty minutes, so I'm pretty sure she did pretty thorough research to confirm that low-battery notifications are indeed a feature that was removed. But then, a few days ago, I got a notification on my 2020 iMac (running macOS 13.2.1) that the trackpad battery was dead. Which isn't super-helpful—a low-battery warning would have been a lot more useful—but at least it explained why the trackpad was unresponsive.

I wonder if the notification was a "bug" that hadn't been "fixed" yet.

Missing Feature: Notifications for low-battery on Magic Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.