You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch timer not accurate

Recently I have been noticing that the timer on my Apple Watch is not accurate; It hangs when my Watch is in Always On state. Then when I look at my Watch (because I know the timer should be over by then) it suddenly jumps from something like 00:00:23 to 00:00:00 and start ringing. As if it is in sort of a sleep mode and does not keep track of time.

I have experienced this multiple times now. And in my opinion a Watch should be able to keep track of time :)

I’m on the latest WatchOS version, also my iPhone is on the latest OS.

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 4:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 8:17 AM

Greetings douwe_,

It sounds like your Apple Watch isn’t working as expected. We know how important having a working Apple Watch is for you, and we will help get you to the right place to find a resolution. Please check your settings and calibrate your Apple Watch.

System Services screen on iPhone.
Check your settings
To make sure that your Apple Watch can get the information it needs, check these settings on your iPhone:
1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app.
2. Tap Privacy > Location Services. 
3. Make sure that Location Services is turned on.
4. Scroll down, then tap System Services. 
5. Make sure that Motion Calibration & Distance is turned on.
6. Continue with the steps below.

Outdoor Walk workout on watch with light pink band.
Calibrate your Apple Watch
1. While wearing your Apple Watch, go to a flat, open outdoor area that has good GPS reception and clear skies. 
2. If you have Apple Watch Series 2 or later, you just need your Apple Watch. If you have Apple Watch Series 1 or earlier, bring your iPhone for GPS. Hold your iPhone in your hand, or wear it on an armband or waistband.
3. Open the Workout app. To start, tap Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run. To set a goal before starting, tap the ... icon.
4. Walk or run at your normal pace for about 20 minutes.

This information is located in this support article:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

If you go through all of the steps above and the issue persists, then please reach out to AppleCare phone support team via this link: Get Support.

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2022 8:17 AM in response to douwe_

Greetings douwe_,

It sounds like your Apple Watch isn’t working as expected. We know how important having a working Apple Watch is for you, and we will help get you to the right place to find a resolution. Please check your settings and calibrate your Apple Watch.

System Services screen on iPhone.
Check your settings
To make sure that your Apple Watch can get the information it needs, check these settings on your iPhone:
1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app.
2. Tap Privacy > Location Services. 
3. Make sure that Location Services is turned on.
4. Scroll down, then tap System Services. 
5. Make sure that Motion Calibration & Distance is turned on.
6. Continue with the steps below.

Outdoor Walk workout on watch with light pink band.
Calibrate your Apple Watch
1. While wearing your Apple Watch, go to a flat, open outdoor area that has good GPS reception and clear skies. 
2. If you have Apple Watch Series 2 or later, you just need your Apple Watch. If you have Apple Watch Series 1 or earlier, bring your iPhone for GPS. Hold your iPhone in your hand, or wear it on an armband or waistband.
3. Open the Workout app. To start, tap Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run. To set a goal before starting, tap the ... icon.
4. Walk or run at your normal pace for about 20 minutes.

This information is located in this support article:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

If you go through all of the steps above and the issue persists, then please reach out to AppleCare phone support team via this link: Get Support.

Cheers!

Apple Watch timer not accurate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.