You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change a user account profile picture without changing your iCloud profile picture?

I have two accounts on my Mac: one for work and one personal account. Both share the same iCloud account.

When I change my profile picture in System Preferences > Users & Groups, my iCloud profile picture is also changed, meaning that the profile picture of both accounts are changed.

I would like to change just the profile picture of my work account so that I have a visual clue on the login screen which one is which. Is there a way to do that?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 12:55 AM

2 replies

Jan 24, 2022 11:24 AM in response to BlueberryLover

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad that it is 'expected behaviour'.

I don't think creating a separate iCloud account would work for me. All I wanted to do was creating a work environment in which all my apps are work orientated (e.g. mail only has work mail). And I don't think it's work going through all that trouble just to change the account profile picture.

Jan 22, 2022 1:08 PM in response to Dagaloni

I believe someone else asked a similar question. What you describe seems to be the expected behaviour. How about setting up a separate Apple ID for one of the accounts? iCloud Drive folders (and quota, see iCloud+) can be shared.

I used to use a single AppleID for myself and my spouse which led to all kinds of issues. Separating our AppleIDs wasn't that difficult and has made things simpler.

- Pie Lover

How to change a user account profile picture without changing your iCloud profile picture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.