You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac vs Windows ( Professional Graphic Designer)

Hello,

I’m a professional Graphic Designer, I need to upgrade from my current windows to a new computer. I’m very confused what to choose, I worked on both Mac & Windows but I really liked the Mac.

The only issue is what I face with Mac is the RAM as it is very low (8gb) and with windows you can go upto 128GB ram

as for my budget, I cannot afford the 16.

my question is

I do heavy designing and 4k /3D rendering

Is 8 GB enough for me?

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 6:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 10:23 AM

You are welcome, I have added RAM to several 27". They just introduced new color iMacs. I am not yet familiar with those, so if you are thinking of getting one of those, make sure you can still add RAM. All of this applies to the 27" models, which is really what you want as a graphics designer - a larger screen.

Edit: just checked the color specs - they are 24" and do not appear to have user replaceable RAM slots.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2021 10:23 AM in response to Yousefkasabji

You are welcome, I have added RAM to several 27". They just introduced new color iMacs. I am not yet familiar with those, so if you are thinking of getting one of those, make sure you can still add RAM. All of this applies to the 27" models, which is really what you want as a graphics designer - a larger screen.

Edit: just checked the color specs - they are 24" and do not appear to have user replaceable RAM slots.

Apr 23, 2021 2:09 PM in response to Yousefkasabji

If you order a 27" iMac you can upgrade the RAM to 24 GB for less than ⅓ of what Apple charges to upgrade to 16 GB. That is done by adding two 8 GB RAM modules from either Crucial.com or MacSales.com (OWC). Also don't get a Fusion drive as they are "old school" and SSDs are so much faster and long lasting.

The new 24" iMacs must be ordered with the RAM from Apple as it's incorporated into the motherboard and can't be user upgraded.

Apr 23, 2021 12:52 PM in response to Yousefkasabji

Can't answer that - mine is a 2017 and I'll stick with that for a while as I can run older OS versions with older apps that won't run on the the new ones (and, at this point, it is not worth spending more than $1,000 to get new app versions since I only use them occasionally).

As for a colored 27" version - no idea unless Apple announces it. And we're not allowed to speculate on future products.....

Apr 23, 2021 1:01 PM in response to Yousefkasabji

The 27 inch iMacs that were introduced in Aug 2020 are still the current (Intel) models that are available, and we fellow users cannot speculate about unannounced Apple products.

I am sitting here in front of a 32 inch LG 32UN880-B Ergo 4K UltraFine Non-glare display driven by my new M1 Mac mini and I would be hard-pressed to salivate over any forthcoming iMac. Maybe.

Mac vs Windows ( Professional Graphic Designer)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.