You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comparing new Air vs Pro for graphic design work

Trying to compare the new MacBook Air 15" or a Macbook Pro 14"

I work professionally as a graphic designer and working with quite large files going between InDesign, Photoshop and InDesign. No video work. I currently have a gaming PC that we upgraded the graphics card at home and want something more portable for times I need to work from home. Files are kept in the cloud.

Here are the 2 models I'm considering between:

MacBook Air 15" - 16GB memory, 512GB SSD (8 core CPU, 10 core GPU)

MacBook Pro 14" - 16GB memory, 512GB SSD (10 core CPU, 16 core GPU)

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 1:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 8:33 PM

jennifersuzette Said:

"Comparing new Air vs Pro for graphic design work: Trying to compare the new MacBook Air 15" or a Macbook Pro 14"[...]"

-------

For Starters:

Look up the specs of the software. Make sure it is compatible with your device.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 20, 2024 7:33 PM in response to CindyScramble

CindyScramble wrote:

I’d like to know what the differences are in the MBA and MBP.

• Processor chip. The MacBook Airs use the plain M3 chip. The MacBook Pros can use the plain M3 chip, the M3 Pro chip, or the M3 Max chip. The choice of chip affects many things (CPU, GPU, RAM, & number of supported expansion ports and external displays).
  • RAM. You can order 8/16/24 GB of RAM on a M3 MBA or MBP. More on a M3 Pro or M3 Max MBP.
  • Display. The MacBook Airs have regular LED-backlit IPS displays. The MacBook Pros have mini-LED-backlit displays to support prerecorded HDR video. Pixels on the MBPs are smaller and closer together, so by default, you get a bit more workspace (relative to the size of the display), but text is smaller. (You might wind up going into Displays Settings, and cranking things one notch towards "Larger Text".)
  • External display support. Only MBPs with the Pro and Max chips can drive two (Pro) or more (Max) external displays with the lid open. M3 MacBook Airs can drive a second monitor, with limitations, if the lid is closed; while M3 MacBook Pros cannot yet do that.
  • Expansion ports. The M3 MacBook Airs have two USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports, a MagSafe 3 (charging) port, and a headphone jack. The M3 MBP adds a HDMI port and a SDXC card slot. The M3 Pro and M3 Max MBPs add a third USB-C (Thunderbolt) port.

Jul 20, 2024 11:24 AM in response to jennifersuzette

When the motherboard of my MacBook Pro died a few years ago, I decided to get the iPad Pro and not replace the computer. I am a retired, pretty old senior, but I am writing a memoire and think a laptop computer would be best for this purpose. Beyond that, my technology needs are pretty simple - correspondence, financial records, photography and a few games. I’d like to know what the differences are in the MBA and MBP.

Jul 20, 2024 7:04 PM in response to jennifersuzette

Note that you can get the 14" M3 MacBook Pro with any of three processor chips. Which processor chip you get will affect things like how many expansion ports you get, how many external displays you can have, and what RAM size choices are available.

Plain M3 chip. This is the same chip as in the M3 MacBook Airs. You only get two USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports (as with the Airs), and there is a limit of one external display. Apple has indicated that they plan to release a software patch to give the M3 MacBook Pro the same "can drive a second display ONLY when the lid is closed" feature as the M3 MacBook Airs, but there is no announced time frame for release of this patch.

M3 Pro or M3 Max chip. MBPs with these chips have three USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports. The ones with M3 Pro chips can drive up to two external displays with the lid open. I believe the ones with M3 Max chips can drive up to four external displays with the lid open.

RAM is not expandable on any Apple Silicon machine, so be sure to get as much as you need, even if that means custom-ordering. Adobe recommends 16+ GB for Photoshop.

Comparing new Air vs Pro for graphic design work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.