You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do the dock and toolbar disappear?

I'm new to Catalina, which came with my new Air. I like to see the dock and toolbar (with clock) all the time, and that's how it was the first few days. Suddenly today both of them hide automatically. I've checked the settings for both, and the box for automatically hiding them is unchecked in both cases. But they keep hiding anyway. This is driving me nuts and wasting lots of time.

Likewise there was a sudden and inexplicable shift from white background, black letters to the opposite. I was able to fix that in settings. But the automatically hiding dock and toolbar will not stop.

Any ideas?

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 9:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 2:08 PM

Here's what worked: I talked to an Applecare support guy who tried the usual things to no avail. Then he had me to into Settings--Accessibility, uncheck "Use keyboard shortcuts to zoom" and "Use scroll gesture to zoom." Immediately the Apple Menu Bar and Dock reappeared and stayed put. He then had me recheck "Use scroll gesture to zoom," so I still have that capacity, and everything is where I want it to be, staying still the way I like it.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2020 2:08 PM in response to guixiu

Here's what worked: I talked to an Applecare support guy who tried the usual things to no avail. Then he had me to into Settings--Accessibility, uncheck "Use keyboard shortcuts to zoom" and "Use scroll gesture to zoom." Immediately the Apple Menu Bar and Dock reappeared and stayed put. He then had me recheck "Use scroll gesture to zoom," so I still have that capacity, and everything is where I want it to be, staying still the way I like it.

Oct 10, 2020 10:44 AM in response to guixiu

guixiu wrote:

I'm new to Catalina, which came with my new Air. I like to see the dock and toolbar (with clock) all the time, and that's how it was the first few days. Suddenly today both of them hide automatically. I've checked the settings for both, and the box for automatically hiding them is unchecked in both cases. But they keep hiding anyway. This is driving me nuts and wasting lots of time.

Likewise there was a sudden and inexplicable shift from white background, black letters to the opposite. I was able to fix that in settings. But the automatically hiding dock and toolbar will not stop.

Any ideas?

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-apps-in-full-screen-mchl9c21d2be/mac

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

Why do the dock and toolbar disappear?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.