You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch languages in Catalina

On my previous iMac with Mohave I had an icon (British flag + the word British) on the right of the upper menu bar which I used to switch to French or Welsh and to launch the keyboard where I selected the accented letters required. This is missing on my new iMac with Catalina. I've added these two languages in the Preferences/keyboard/input sources and ticked the "Show input menu in menu bar", but I see nothing in the menu bar. Can anyone help please?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 6:47 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Sep 24, 2020 4:12 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

OK. When I turn on the accessibility keyboard I get an icon of a person with out spread arms in the top menu, but when I click on it the menu contains several grey inaccessible items, none of them languages. The only accessible item is accessibility preferences. This takes me to the accessibility window in which I can access the on-screen keyboard but, after selecting French there are no accents visible. On my old iMac when I use the flag in the top menu bar I can select the language and then the keyboard which contains the accents. So I'm stuck.

How to switch languages in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.