You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable change input language on login screen macOs Catalina

Looks like there is no way to change the default input language on MacOs Catalina. Every time i start my MacBook Pro the default input language on the top right of the login screens shows as Spanish.

On System preferences on my computer I only have one language available within Language & Regions, and that language is English (US) and it is selected as the primary language on my MacBook Pro 2018.

Also on System preferences I also have just one language within the Keyboard input sources -and that language is U.S. English

I even went to Users & Groups > Login Options and unchecked the box marked as "show input menu in login window" but when restarting the computer the input language menu keeps showing on the login window -with the wrong spanish language-

I already tried other methods such as running

sudo languagesetup 

within the terminal and selecting english as the primary default language.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advanced.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 10:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 12:35 PM

I already tried that, but it did not work. In those instructions the Language & Region screen shows a little gear icon that he mentions on step 7, but that gear is non exiting on Catalina (at least on my version of Catalina).

Here's step 7:

'...Click the new Gear button that appeared on the bottom bar when you rearranged the language list, and choose Apply To Login Window. (As shown in the above screenshot.)..'

That gear he mentions is non existent on Catalina 10.15.1

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2019 12:35 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I already tried that, but it did not work. In those instructions the Language & Region screen shows a little gear icon that he mentions on step 7, but that gear is non exiting on Catalina (at least on my version of Catalina).

Here's step 7:

'...Click the new Gear button that appeared on the bottom bar when you rearranged the language list, and choose Apply To Login Window. (As shown in the above screenshot.)..'

That gear he mentions is non existent on Catalina 10.15.1

Unable change input language on login screen macOs Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.