You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac Studio suddenly stopes very often for couple of seconds...

Since the first day I had my Mac Studio, no matter what I do on it, but most noticeable when listen to audio and now trying to record music in Cubase, the Mac suddenly freezes for a couple of seconds, then continues as normal. This is very annoying while playing in music on my midi keyboard or recording audio with the microphone; I cannot even record anything longer than 10 seconds because the Mac freezes and I have to start all over again. Any idea what is going on?

I have the first generation Mac Studio with 64 GB ram.

Mac Studio, macOS 15.1

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 3:25 AM

7 replies

Oct 4, 2024 8:27 AM in response to Andreas - Gothenburg

Consider downloading and running this little "discovery" utility, Etrecheck. It changes NOTHING. Etrecheck was developed by senior contributor here, and uses system calls to collect often-needed information.

it contains little tests for speeds of devices, CPU utilization, memory usage, energy usage and a digest of recent problems, in one easy to use package. it does not even need to be Installed. Because less can be learned when your Mac is running great, best time to run is when your problems are actually occurring, if possible.

if you follow the directions faithfully, its report (pre-laundered of all personally-identifiable information) can be "Shared" to the System ClipBoard, then Pasted into an ‘Additional Text’ window in a reply on the forums.

Use Etrecheck Pro for free:

http://Etrecheck.com

then use the additional text icon, and PASTE the report into the additional text window and (Post)

Oct 6, 2024 7:01 AM in response to Andreas - Gothenburg

Third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive can ruin performance, but are not inherently dangerous.

They were Quickly ported from that other Operating System, and were never re-written to take advantage of the MacOS ‘File System Event Store’.  The typical brute-force search they use takes all afternoon for one pass. That relentless searching is a completely un-necessary waste of resources.

Synch and Backup programs like iCloud Drive and Time Machine that DO use the MacOS File System Event Store can find changes really quickly and be done with their work and suspend themselves. Time machine can run backups Hourly, while all those others are still beating on the file system for the first pass, four hours later. By the time they have finished, they need to start again.

--------

There may be other issue that compound the trouble. When you post your report back here, many different readers can examine it for issues one reader might overlook.

Mac Studio suddenly stopes very often for couple of seconds...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.