You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 Notes - How do I turn off spell check for handwriting?

I used to love writing with the calligraphy pen in Notes on the iPad and using design elements to convey what I feel. Having annoying lines under words the OS doesn't recognize pop up, go away, and pop up again makes what was a very relaxing activity considerably less so and litters up the page. This would be a great feature in some cases and one I would use, but I have never seen a spell check that can't be disabled. Can I really not disable the spell check for handwriting here? I am only supposed to use Notes one way?

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 9:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 7:13 AM

I've experienced this too. I use Notes as a space to journal, free-associate, scribble, and play with words, often bending the rules of spelling and language to unleash my creativity and foster outside-the-box thinking. The constant underlining of words—even when they're spelled correctly—becomes a major distraction, like having a strict teacher hovering over my shoulder, shouting, "That's wrong!" It's baffling that there's no way to disable this feature. Apple, please, for the sake of creatives everywhere, give us the option to turn it off.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2024 7:13 AM in response to tateff

I've experienced this too. I use Notes as a space to journal, free-associate, scribble, and play with words, often bending the rules of spelling and language to unleash my creativity and foster outside-the-box thinking. The constant underlining of words—even when they're spelled correctly—becomes a major distraction, like having a strict teacher hovering over my shoulder, shouting, "That's wrong!" It's baffling that there's no way to disable this feature. Apple, please, for the sake of creatives everywhere, give us the option to turn it off.

Oct 20, 2024 2:51 PM in response to tateff

As a Hebrew speaker, to me it’s a horrible user experience. Not only that apple doesn’t support Hebrew for many of its features like scribble, but while I simply want to journal in Hebrew I can’t do so due to these spell check underlines. Every word I write seems to it like a total gibberish (understandably).

I would really appreciate that if they don’t spell check other languages other than English, at least give us the option to turn that thing off…

Oct 20, 2024 3:47 PM in response to inevo

inevo wrote:

As a Hebrew speaker, to me it’s a horrible user experience. Not only that apple doesn’t support Hebrew for many of its features like scribble, but while I simply want to journal in Hebrew I can’t do so due to these spell check underlines. Every word I write seems to it like a total gibberish (understandably).
I would really appreciate that if they don’t spell check other languages other than English, at least give us the option to turn that thing off…

This is a user-to-user technical community. Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. Other than the site Moderators, Apple neither monitors nor participates within this Community. As such, your comments here will not be seen by Apple Support.

Apple invites submission of constructive comments via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

iPadOS 18 Notes - How do I turn off spell check for handwriting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.