You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps won't load on MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.5.1

Maps won't load on MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.5.1, location services are on and maps is checked

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 11:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 10:54 AM

laston176 wrote:

Maps won't load on MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.5.1, location services are on and maps is checked

Have you tried rebooting the Mac?

Have you tried a full shut down and restart to compare your results...?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

ref: If Maps isn't working on your Apple device

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 5, 2022 10:54 AM in response to laston176

laston176 wrote:

Have you tried rebooting the Mac?

Have you tried a full shut down and restart to compare your results...?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

ref: If Maps isn't working on your Apple device

Sep 13, 2022 8:03 AM in response to leroydouglas

I am a full-time traveler and noticed a while back some very erratic location issues of not knowing where I was. In my current location the MacBook is not detectable at all and I have tries to get location using Apple Maps, Find My, all online mapping services gMap, Mapquest etc.). Apple told me to upgrade from Catalina to Monterey to fix it, because all of my settings were correct, but that did not fix it. Apple then said it was likely hardware related so they found the nearest repair shop, an hour away, and I took it in. When in their store it found my location right away. I described the issues I was experiencing so they ran hardware diagnostics and told me everything was working. They went ahead and opened it up also to see if there were any visible signs of the issue but as we both suspected there were none.

I am pulling speeds anywhere from 20mbps on ATT and nearly 200mbps on Starlink and location services are working on 2 different iPhones, two different AirPods, an android phone and an android tablet (androids have no cell service as they are testers and require wifi to work) all using the exact same wifi connection.

I was instructed to complete wipe it and reinstall Monterey which I did and it still does not work.

I took the MacBook about 5 miles away and the location services started working. I came back here and they are no longer working again. I have never seen a device work only in certain areas before.

I did notice that automatic Date & time are not being set and it appears the Apple server that provides that service is in fact down, time.apple.com.

I have an advisor and hope to get an engineer assigned but I work for a mapping company and this issues is preventing me from being able to do my job!

Maps won't load on MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.