You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does 'disable & delete' delete photos from your phone?

So I decided to pay for extra storage from icloud because the storage on my phone was full, it didn't end up working the way I wanted to so I decided to stop using the icloud and selected the disable and delete option. Now most all of my photos on my actual phone are gone, even photos I took somewhat recently, among the ones I have left are a few totally random ancient photos for no reason whatsoever, yet 90% are gone. Why is it that if I delete the cloud storage that it affects my actual phone? Now my photos are permanently gone? Why are completely random photos still there? Why is this feature so stupid? A monkey could have coded that software better. Don't have a backup because I never needed one until now so I guess I'm screwed due to apples immense incompetence. Like seriously, if I have an option to delete them on my phone, why do I ever need to go through icloud to remove them from my phone? why is this a thing? why is it possible to remove photos from your phone via the cloud's application?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 5:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 7:20 PM

Hello Kryptdomi,

I believe a lot of the issues you mentioned here are related to adding/removing services without first checking how the service works. This lack of research seems to also have you missing the fact that deleted iCloud files, photos, and videos stay available for 30 days in the recently deleted folder and recently deleted photo album of iCloud. The photos are not permanently gone.

In your case they aren't likely to even be recently deleted. You can likely just sign back into iCloud, the photos will reappear, then you can download the originals back onto the iPhone if space allows.

When your selected 'disable & delete' you were being "asked if you want to keep a copy of the information that you store in iCloud on your device. Whatever you choose, your information will remain in iCloud." By selecting delete you told iCloud that you did not want the data copied to the iPhone after disabling iCloud.

This specifically sounds like you had enabled iCloud Photos. Since you were out of storage space on the iPhone it seems likely you would have also enabled "Optimize Storage" but neglected to enable "Download Originals" during the set up process.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

"If you need more device storage

iCloud Photos keeps all your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. To save storage space on your device, you can turn on Optimize Storage.

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device."

You may need to turn back on the iCloud storage then download the photos manually. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204055. (You will have access until your next billing period)

If they are deleted this may help. If you're missing photos or videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

Lastly, you can provide feedback to Apple using their product feedback site. Here in the communities we are not Apple employees, just users helping users.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2021 7:20 PM in response to Kryptdomi

Hello Kryptdomi,

I believe a lot of the issues you mentioned here are related to adding/removing services without first checking how the service works. This lack of research seems to also have you missing the fact that deleted iCloud files, photos, and videos stay available for 30 days in the recently deleted folder and recently deleted photo album of iCloud. The photos are not permanently gone.

In your case they aren't likely to even be recently deleted. You can likely just sign back into iCloud, the photos will reappear, then you can download the originals back onto the iPhone if space allows.

When your selected 'disable & delete' you were being "asked if you want to keep a copy of the information that you store in iCloud on your device. Whatever you choose, your information will remain in iCloud." By selecting delete you told iCloud that you did not want the data copied to the iPhone after disabling iCloud.

This specifically sounds like you had enabled iCloud Photos. Since you were out of storage space on the iPhone it seems likely you would have also enabled "Optimize Storage" but neglected to enable "Download Originals" during the set up process.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

"If you need more device storage

iCloud Photos keeps all your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. To save storage space on your device, you can turn on Optimize Storage.

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device."

You may need to turn back on the iCloud storage then download the photos manually. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204055. (You will have access until your next billing period)

If they are deleted this may help. If you're missing photos or videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

Lastly, you can provide feedback to Apple using their product feedback site. Here in the communities we are not Apple employees, just users helping users.

I hope this helps.

Why does 'disable & delete' delete photos from your phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.