You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete photos from my phone but don't delete it from iCloud

Hey,

my phone is very slow and has hardly any memory left. Since I have so many photos, I wanted to delete them from the phone, but so that they are still in the iCloud (so on my iPad and my Macbook). I tried to disable "iCloud Photos" on my phone, but unfortunately this function doesn't load. what can I do? Thanks

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 9:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 9:49 AM

If you are using iCloud Photos and you delete them from the phone, they will be deleted on all of your devices that use iCloud Photos. iCloud Photos is a syncing service, not off device storage.

If you really want to delete the photos from your phone, archive them to your Mac first to store them there. Backing the photos up on an external drive would be a good idea as well.

See this for more information on saving the photos to your Mac.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 31, 2022 9:49 AM in response to like2002

If you are using iCloud Photos and you delete them from the phone, they will be deleted on all of your devices that use iCloud Photos. iCloud Photos is a syncing service, not off device storage.

If you really want to delete the photos from your phone, archive them to your Mac first to store them there. Backing the photos up on an external drive would be a good idea as well.

See this for more information on saving the photos to your Mac.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

delete photos from my phone but don't delete it from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.