You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No permission to scan with Brother printer & MacOS Big Sur 11.5.1

How do I fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 5:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 5:27 AM

Find the Brother scanner app and try to run it directly in the Finder. It is probably inside a Brother folder inside /Library/Application Support. If running it directly once doesn't resolve the quarantine, try ctrl-clicking on it and choosing open.

5 replies

Aug 29, 2021 2:35 PM in response to Nicholas_4852

What worked in my case after upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur (Brother MFC-9320cw) was to add my user admin permission to ~/Library/Image Capture/Devices/Brother Scanner.app, Get Info (Right Click or Command i or Finder-File Menu) and unlock at lower right corner then click the plus at lower left corner to add your admin log-in user & privilege.

Hope others find this helpful.

Sep 6, 2021 2:41 PM in response to C_p_H

If I knew that installing OS Big Sur Ver. 11.5.2 would make my Brothers printer/scanner no longer work properly I would never have installed it. I do not see any improvement in the operation of my MAC with the new Big Sur OS. It just opened up a bag of worms. How did the Apple community come to the conclusion that Big Sur was an "improvement"?

Can I easily go back to my previous OS?

No permission to scan with Brother printer & MacOS Big Sur 11.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.