You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur permissions is blocking my Brother Scanner

Although BIg Sur seems to think there's a "Brother Scanner.app" on my computer I simply can't find it in order to change the permissions...anyone have the same issue? I'm running a MFC-J4410DW. The printer works but the scanner is dead...

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 5:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 6:25 PM

I haven't had any luck using my Brother scanner with Image Capture since Catalina was released -- but I haven't spent much time researching the problem. I discovered the Brother iPrint&Scan app in the Mac App Store. It works and after using it a couple of times I decided that I preferred it to Image Capture. See: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brother-iprint-scan/id1193539993?mt=12

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2021 6:25 PM in response to ljdog

I haven't had any luck using my Brother scanner with Image Capture since Catalina was released -- but I haven't spent much time researching the problem. I discovered the Brother iPrint&Scan app in the Mac App Store. It works and after using it a couple of times I decided that I preferred it to Image Capture. See: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brother-iprint-scan/id1193539993?mt=12

Aug 2, 2021 6:38 PM in response to ljdog

The issue I had was also only the scanner, not the printer. But I didn't have a permissions error, Image Capture just didn't find the scanner.

Again, it may have been a minor easily resolved problem but I found the Print&Scan solution before I resolved the Image Capture issue and then had no motivation to research it further.

No complaints here about Big Sur.

Aug 2, 2021 10:12 PM in response to ljdog

Hi there!

I have seen the same behavior with Canon printers/scanners, and even with HP printers/scanners.

Until recently, would work fine. Although at some point would give an error such as the one you posted.

Ive found the issue to be related to the software installed by the printer manufacturer, as after deleting their software, was able to print via Image Capture just fine, couldn’t before doing so.

I haven’t looked up the specs yet, is this a wireless or usb printer?

As long as the printer’s specs are compatible with your Mac and OS version:

I have had luck with these steps:

Removing the printer/scanner from System Preferences > Printers and Scanners, by pressing the “-“.

While you are there, right click the blank space in the printers list, and select “Reset Printing System”.

Next, you can go a step further and (If you keep a backup), delete the files within:

Finder > Go > Computer > Macintosh HD (Usually) > Library > Printers.

From here, delete, or save then delete all the files in here, especially those related to Brother.

Likewise in the /Library, open Image Capture/Devices, do the same for the files in here.

Before doing so, if a wired connection, disconnect the printer.

Restart your Mac, and re-connect if usb.

Then, again, add the printer/scanner in System Preferences > Printers and Scanners via the “”+”, and see how it goes.

If those steps fail, can you see if the same issue occurs in another admin account? In Safe Mode? And/or on another network? Or even other printers/scanners? (If available).

Cheers, hope something helps!

Big Sur permissions is blocking my Brother Scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.