You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie hanging while I try to delete videos, images from the library...

Hello, since past few weeks I am facing this issue. Imovie keeps hanging while I try to delete any items in the iMovie library!

As soon as I click "delete" the processing keeps happening and imovie hangs up. And I have to force quit. I dont know whats happening. Im worried as I cant fill up my library with more videos and cant delete them. Please help me.

Computer has latest updates installed, imovie doesn't show any upcoming updates as of now.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 10:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 8:08 AM

Here's a link that explains how to use safe mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Can you post a step-by-step of the procedure you are following to do the deletions? How are you accessing the iMovie library? Are you deleting directly from the library or from the iMovie app? The iMovie library contains projects and events, and Original Media used in those items, that would include images, recorded videos and audio files. How are you getting to the images, recorded videos and audio files?

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2020 8:08 AM in response to prituzz

Here's a link that explains how to use safe mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Can you post a step-by-step of the procedure you are following to do the deletions? How are you accessing the iMovie library? Are you deleting directly from the library or from the iMovie app? The iMovie library contains projects and events, and Original Media used in those items, that would include images, recorded videos and audio files. How are you getting to the images, recorded videos and audio files?

-- Rich

Jul 11, 2020 11:44 AM in response to prituzz

What items are you trying to delete from the iMovie library? Projects? Media? Events? What steps are you doing to delete?

Sometimes this type of glitch can easily be cleared up by deleting preferences. Try opening iMovie while holding down the

Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can delete without the hanging up issue.

Another thing you can try is to boot up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

-- Rich

Jul 15, 2020 7:09 AM in response to Rich839

I tried deleting images, recorded videos and audio files etc. But it hangs.

I tried doing the Command + Option nothing happened. So I chose the preferences of imovie from menu. And tried to delete "render" files, but again it hanged.

Havent tried safe mode. I don't know how to do it. Anyways will research and try.

Thanks for your response.

iMovie hanging while I try to delete videos, images from the library...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.