You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie running slow

I saw some videos to help me with this problem. However, they all say to delete my iMovie library which seems a bit off to me because this is my first try on cutting a video, so my library is not

that full. 

Somehow still everything I try to do on iMovie, even just deleting a video seems to take ages.

Can someone tell me why it is running so slow although it is my first video?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 10:54 AM

Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. See if that speeds things up.

If no luck, try opening iMovie in a newly created library and see if it works faster there.

If still no luck, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder. See if the new download works faster.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2021 10:54 AM in response to Stella2610

Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. See if that speeds things up.

If no luck, try opening iMovie in a newly created library and see if it works faster there.

If still no luck, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder. See if the new download works faster.

-- Rich

Apr 13, 2021 10:05 PM in response to Stella2610

Possibly you have insufficient space on your internal drive for iMovie to function efficiently. 20GB is often recommended. Other CPU intensive programs running at the same time can also cause slow performance.

Sluggish performance might also indicate that you need to reset your System Management Controller. This wouldn't apply if you are using the newer M1 Mac. Otherwise, try this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

-- Rich

iMovie running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.