You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tempo and importing audio woes!!

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get an imported audio file to play back correctly in Logic Pro X. In a previous version I used, there used to be a feature called, "detect tempo" and it seemed to work pretty well, where I could just select the audio track, detect tempo, and it would automatically stretch out to the correct number of bars / beats / tempo, which would then be set automatically. In the version I'm using now (10.4.0), I am trying to import an audio file (which is 36 bars long, and plays at 100bpm). No matter what I'm trying, Logic is compressing the whole file into just 7 or 8 bars, and it will not play back properly. I've tried the different flex options, I've tried the different smart tempo settings, I've tried setting the locators to 36 bars and stretching the audio file to fit...NOTHING seems to work. Please help!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 11:59 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 30, 2020 2:47 PM in response to Pancenter

Hi Pancenter,

does this happen with all compressed formats?

I think so but I don't regularly follow all the technical/devs discussions on the subject. The situation may have evolved. But MP3 files are mostly identified as a problem in user forums.

My educated guess is:

Logic can relies on external scripts or routines for some operations like importing/exporting files, drag and drop... Some can be low level macOS or Core Audio stuff or linked to higher level applications like QuickTime or iTunes. This is not always well documented and even then not always consistent. That also can explain different behaviors for similar operations. Ex: Drag and Drop vs File > Import. No surprise here; devs are used to deal with that.

Catalina introduced deep changes to audio handling and applications. Ex: iTunes is now split in Podcasts, Music... I suspect an old call used by Logic just got broken with the changes. That's why a recent Logic update may has fixed it. Only a good developper running Logic aside with a debugger can tell how deep and complex the issue was.

Again, I'm only speculating but I'm fairly sure it is something like what I described. As an example, I read in a devs forum about an issue with importing audio to the new Music app when using Automator/Applescript. They discovered that a variable set to "iTunes" get instantiated by default to "Podcasts" at a lower level! The fix was obvious but the cause was not. In fact, many users reported related problems in other forums.

As for MP3 licensing, there is maybe some truth there. There are usually some constraints on use cases linked to those licenses. This may put limits on the modifications you can make. As a hint, as a far as I know, the only way to effectively convert from MP3 on macOS was iTunes!

I hope that shed some light.

WD

Tempo and importing audio woes!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.