You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 12.9" iPad Pro eSim is not working

I set up an ATT account on the new iPad as per instructions and there is a new device and phone number showing up in my account now.

However, cellular is not working as expected. It appears that the esim is not being recognized or something is missing such that the Celluar Data setting is still looking for me to select a carrier.

I have been on the phone with ATT two days in a row, and there seem to be a SIM card language differential. They keep asking for an ICCID number and there is nothing under that name listed under ABOUT on the iPad, there is however a CSN, IMEI, and EID number.

ATT is sending me a "real" SIM card to install.

Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a way to check to see if the cellular radio(?) is actually working, at this time, there are no signal bars showing, but they do show up for about 3 seconds after starting the iPad or switching Airplane mode off.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 1:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 9:28 AM

I was going through the various support pages on the ATT website and found this little statement:

Make sure it‘s on an active wireless plan, then download your eSIM to your device over Wi-Fi®. (If you’re bringing a dual-SIM device to AT&T, an eSIM won’t transfer. We recommend that you order a new SIM card.)

Seeing as how the 2020 iPad Pro is dual-sim, I guess that 'won't transfer' translates as an eSIM won't work. Further, based on the various Apple webpages, they are not aware of this.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 18, 2020 9:28 AM in response to danuke

I was going through the various support pages on the ATT website and found this little statement:

Make sure it‘s on an active wireless plan, then download your eSIM to your device over Wi-Fi®. (If you’re bringing a dual-SIM device to AT&T, an eSIM won’t transfer. We recommend that you order a new SIM card.)

Seeing as how the 2020 iPad Pro is dual-sim, I guess that 'won't transfer' translates as an eSIM won't work. Further, based on the various Apple webpages, they are not aware of this.

May 7, 2020 5:45 PM in response to danuke

I was having the same issue, in that AT&T told me they would send me a SIM card as I supposedly needed it, but they also said SIM cards are on back order. AT&T has since informed me that a SIM card order was placed automatically when I set up the plan for this device (2020 iPad Pro). And, most recently, AT&T has advised me that I do not need a SIM card in this device, as I have an eSIM. So...who knows, but my device seems to be working just fine.

2020 12.9" iPad Pro eSim is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.