You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't update my Apple Watch to the new watchOS 6 from my iPhone 6 plus

I'm trying to do an update from the watch APP in my iPhone 6 plus and the system prompts that I need to update iOS to the latest version before I can update the watch, but surprisingly, when I go into the update section in configuration, iOS says that it has already the last version! (by the way, it is 12.4.1)

So, I'm in a loop that won't allow me to update my watch! I already did the unpair and pair process and that didn't help at all...

I hope the answer to my question isn't to buy a newer phone, because that would be a JOKE!

Can anyone gimme a hand with this? THANKS IN ADVANCE...

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 7:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 7:11 PM

The iPhone 6 Plus cannot run iOS 13. watchOS 6 requires iOS 13.

You can get a used iPhone 6s Plus for not a lot of money if you really REALLY want watchOS 6.

Otherwise your Apple Watch and iPhone will continue to work together with their current operating system versions.

3 replies

Sep 25, 2019 7:59 PM in response to cupertino_alert

Even if you purchased - this year - a new Apple Watch Series 4, a new iPad Pro and new Mac, your new watch will be locked into an outdated version of WatchOS, unless you purchase a newer iPhone.

What other products you purchased has nothing to do with it. That is a staw-man argument.

You Apple Watch will still do what it did yesterday, tomorrow. And when you decide to upgrade to a newer iPhone, the Apple Watch will be ready to upgrade to watchOS 6.

This fact was not clearly disclosed during the Apple hardware or WWDC keynotes, at Apple Stores or by authorized Apple resellers.

https://www.apple.com/watchos/watchos-6

at the bottom of the page. And WWDC keynotes are already long enough without covering every detail of every product announced. As for authorized Apple resellers, that is on them if you told them what iPhone you owned.

The new iPadOS 13.1 can be installed on iPad Pro without the newer iPhone purchase requirement.

The iPad is Not an iPhone accessory. The Apple Watch is an accessory and dependent on the iPhone. Maybe in a few years, the Apple Watch will become powerful enough to stand on its own and become a real "Dick Tracy" watch. But for now it is an iPhone accessory.

Apple could resolve this issue by allowing iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to install the latest version of iOS 13, or an updated version of iOS 12.4.1, if only to enable new WatchOS installations for recent Apple Watch customers.

Yup. Suggest you tell them.

Apple Watch Feedback

https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Just wondering how far back should Apple provide watchOS 6 support?

Sep 25, 2019 6:55 PM in response to BobHarris

Even if you purchased - this year - a new Apple Watch Series 4, a new iPad Pro and new Mac, your new watch will be locked into an outdated version of WatchOS, unless you purchase a newer iPhone.

This fact was not clearly disclosed during the Apple hardware or WWDC keynotes, at Apple Stores or by authorized Apple resellers.

The new iPadOS 13.1 can be installed on iPad Pro without the newer iPhone purchase requirement.

Apple could resolve this issue by allowing iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to install the latest version of iOS 13, or an updated version of iOS 12.4.1, if only to enable new WatchOS installations for recent Apple Watch customers.

I can't update my Apple Watch to the new watchOS 6 from my iPhone 6 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.