You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How Do I Find a Photo's "Date Created" Metadata in MacOS Finder for a JPEG File?

I have been frustrated that many photo files (like a jpeg file) in MacOS Finder do not show the original photo created date (in “Get Info” window), and today I found a great work-around!

If you select the jpeg file in a Finder window set to Column View, the info found under the photo in the image column, INCLUDES the “Content Created” info, UNLIKE the info found in the “Get Info” window, which is just one little frustrating thing about this mostly wonderful OS! (I am using a MacBook Air 13" M3 2024 with Sonoma 14.6.1, but this is relevant to older operating systems as well)...

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 12:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 12:56 AM

Very nice. Thank you for posting this helpful workaround here. Could you please also add which version of MacOS you have used, when you made the screenshots? if I remember correctly, it will depend on the system version, if we can see the creation date in this way.

3 replies

Oct 15, 2024 1:59 AM in response to munkotopia

Thanks for the note. I wish Apple would more readily display internal metadata dates.

I am always puzzled what people mean when they mention a date they see in their computer. To make matters worse Apple displays "ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal" as "Content Created" in Finder.app's "Show Preview" option and as "Date Time Original" in Preview.app's Inspector. Windows might use different nomenclature and the more readily displayed file creation and modification dates confuse people even more.

How Do I Find a Photo's "Date Created" Metadata in MacOS Finder for a JPEG File?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.