You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Problem with recording old VHS tape onto macbook pro OS sonoma 14.6

I have been trying to use a video capture device to record the contents of a VHS cassette in a VHS player to my macbook pro via usb 2.0 (via usb C connector) and using quick time player (QTP) as suggested. But it does not record video, only audio. The problem seems to be software related as the microphone in QTP does not recognise the usb video (it only sees usb audio). From what I have read the issue seems to be that the later mac OS systems are problematic. Is there an easy and not too expensive solution? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 12:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 1:37 AM

I'd consult the video capture device company.

But check that you have all video and audio cables connected as they should.

In Sonoma you might also have to restore legacy video device support:

If you can't use your camera or video output device after updating to macOS Sonoma 14.1 - Apple Support

2 replies

Oct 15, 2024 4:48 AM in response to Axofraniem

building on Matti Haveri's reply, your video capture device may not be compatible with your macOS. the manufacturer of the video capture device I use dropped support for any macOS after Catalina. if I try to use it with any macOS newer than that, I too get audio, but no video. so I needed to install Catalina onto an external SSD and boot into that when I need to use my video capture device.

Problem with recording old VHS tape onto macbook pro OS sonoma 14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.