You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iMessage Splitting Contact

Hello, I have about had it with this issue. On iMessage I’m getting texts from my wife and the notification is saying the text is from her phone number and it’s to me and her contact. why is it doing this. I’ve done everything to fix it like i would delete her info out of her contact and through the iMessage app i would click on the number or her email and hit add to an existing contact and paste the number and email back into her contact to see if it would recognize her email and her phone number is on the same contact and not split it up. I know that iMessage only works with your apple id email so deleting her email out of her contact would not only let iMessage work but it would also hide all of our past messages. If anyone else has had this issue and you resolved it please help

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 2:48 PM

1 reply

Oct 18, 2024 8:03 AM in response to GHudson50

Hey just so you know, you’re not alone. And a broad search of this issue after iOS18’s release shows a huge ratio of the affected users having issues with their partners’ conversations (my wife and I are experiencing this EXACT issue).

For context - I’m a former Apple Technician of 10 years and a good track record of squashing problems. And I have done everything short of deleting the conversation full of loving memories from my phone and seeing if that works.

There are no duplicate contacts in my contacts app, her info has not been entered by mistake in to another other contacts, we have tried updating to .0.1, we have deleted each others contact info and re-entered them multiple times, each attempt having us enter all the information or just some to see if it would work.

Nothing has helped.

The message preview on the lock screen shows her phone number starting a “group chat” with myself and my wife’s chat, but when I click on it it just goes to the existing conversation with no issues.

During troubleshooting, sometimes it appears as “Maybe: <My Wife’s Name>”, other times it’s just the phone number.

We DID find a dumb, clunky work-around, maybe it’ll work for you? If she goes to her contacts (or vice versa, depending on who has the issue) and she clicks on “Send a Message”, a dialogue box pops up asking if she wants to send a message to your phone number or to your Apple ID; for me, if she clicks my number, everything is fine. But if she tries to message me normally (ie: open messages, type & send or via Siri) then this issue appears again.

It’s as if the iMessage servers are splitting the users apart somehow. It’s ridiculous. This is the literal BASIC level of functionality we should be expecting but iOS18 has become a laughing stock of poor design decisions and unforgivable bugs that should never exist on consumer-level software. A total joke.

Hang in there my brother, and try to submit your complaint at feedback.apple.com

iMessage Splitting Contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.