You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Pages 14.x: Combine a list with paragraphs and numbers

How to get a list in Pages (Vers 14.x) with paragraphs and numbers like this?

§ 1

§ 2

§ 3

Please Apple, we have been waiting for for years. It would be so easy to create a list of numbers with prefix and suffix. BTW: There is no numberlist without a dot 😉 Thank you!

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 1:45 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2024 2:52 AM in response to mike_aut

Apple is not here, just fellow users supporting these communities. Pages does not support your inventive list style unless you are prepared to enter and format it manually. The only means for the Pages product team to see your

request is to submit a feature request via the Pages application menu item Provide Pages Feedback.

Let the Pages product team decide how easy adding and supporting code changes to Pages might be. After all, it took them 8 years to add back non-contiguous text selection.

Microsoft Word v16.89.1 (Office 2021 for Mac) allows one to choose the initial paragraph symbol instead of a number, but as far as I can tell, does not allow one to combine that § character with a subsequent number in a new list definition. If Microsoft does not allow this after 38 years of Word development, don't count on the Pages product team being bellwethers.

Oct 13, 2024 10:17 AM in response to mike_aut

Apple's Pages product team is delivering a free product whose functionality, testing, and release schedule must fit within their assigned Apple budget.

There might be more motivation within Apple to enhance the Pages feature set were it a revenue-producing product, or Apple was competing with other word-processing vendors for market share. Neither is the case, however, so Apple sees no challenge in obscure feature requests. I say obscure because you are the only one within the last 12 years that has asked for § n list style.

Oct 16, 2024 3:40 PM in response to VikingOSX

The topic has been discussed for years in various forums and adventurous workarounds have been offered. The fact is that a collection of paragraphs is needed for every legal text, every company statute and every association statute. This is nothing new, but no one has ever come up with the idea of simplifying it. I'm pleased to be the first in 12 years. Maybe I've started an avalanche and there will be more followers.

Oct 17, 2024 7:28 AM in response to mike_aut

Mike,

The one guarantee that you have with Pages is that future releases of the operating system and Pages could unexpectedly alter the behavior of any current user customization that is bending present Pages functionality.

If you intend to export to Word or EPUB, don't trust the Finder's Quick Look to confirm the exported document layout. Use Apple Books or MS Word on the intended recipient platform to verify what you expected is present in the document's appearance. I don't even trust LibreOffice for this purpose. I have Office 2021 for Mac installed on Sequoia and Office 2021 Professional Plus installed on Windows 11 Pro for that very reason.

Pages 14.x: Combine a list with paragraphs and numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.