You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Replace Apple Music for Windows with iTunes?

I had iTunes on my pc and was happy with it. It synched well with my iPod, which is really the only use I made of iTunes (never listened to it directly on my pc). But I screwed up my iPod (inadvertently deleted the music app) and couldn't easily restore and configure everything. I decided to try Apple Music for Windows. (And uninstalled iTunes.) But I don't like Apple Music (don't like the interface, have trouble setting up playlists). Would like to go back to iTunes. That is, uninstall Apple Music, re-install iTunes, still have access to everything I previously had on iTunes, and re-synch with iPod. Is that possible. I want to know it will work before I try it.

Windows, Windows 11 (22631)

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 8:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 3:35 AM

Uninstall each of Apple Music, Apple TV and Apple Devices that you have installed, then reinstall iTunes if necessary from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64. With any of those apps present iTunes is limited to working with audiobooks and podcasts only. Once reinstalled your old iTunes library should be shown. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community if the contents are not as expected.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2024 3:35 AM in response to bcrain

Uninstall each of Apple Music, Apple TV and Apple Devices that you have installed, then reinstall iTunes if necessary from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64. With any of those apps present iTunes is limited to working with audiobooks and podcasts only. Once reinstalled your old iTunes library should be shown. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community if the contents are not as expected.

tt2

Oct 15, 2024 5:56 AM in response to bcrain

It is possible to uninstall Apple Music and reinstall iTunes on your PC. Once iTunes is reinstalled, you should be able to access your previous library and sync your iPod, as long as your music files are still available on your computer or in your iTunes backup. However, restoring the deleted music app on your iPod might require resetting the device or reinstalling the app via the App Store. If you're concerned about losing any settings or files, it’s a good idea to create a backup before proceeding.

Oct 16, 2024 8:03 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still unable to make it work. iTunes is now on my Windows pc (and Apple Music gone). All the songs are there, and I can move them into my playlists. The problem is with my iPod. It won't synch with iTunes. It has a "music app", but not the original one that came with it. Its icon is the Apple Music app, installed there when I put Apple Music on my pc. It stayed there when I deleted Apple Music from my pc. I assume that "music apps" are not simply interchangeable, so the problem could be that I'm trying to synch an "Apple Music" app on my iPod with iTunes on my pc. Is that assumption correct? If so I need to delete the "Apple Music" app on the iPod and replace it with an app that will synch with iTunes. With what app, from where? If not, why won't the Apple Music app synch with iTunes? BTW, I've spent a lot of time calling Apple Help about this problem. The agents seemed to not understand the problem. Finally, they just said "go to an Apple store" for help. Which would be very inconvenient, and not promising. I've been there before (not recently) with some iTunes issue (not like this one), and the agent just said he doesn't deal with iTunes any more!

Replace Apple Music for Windows with iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.