You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

WiFi suddenly not working on Mac Studio

The WiFi on my Mac Studio has suddenly stopped working - I say suddenly because I was browsing the net fine and then it just refused to load any page.

Restarted Mac, no difference.

Rebooted router, no difference.

No VPN on.

Tried 'forgetting' the WiFi and reconnecting, no difference.

The local network is detected fine and the machine indicates it is connected with strong signal, but still no internet.

Attempting to load any site in Chrome gets This site cannot be reached etc.

Tried connecting to iPhone as hotspot - it connects but still no internet connection.

Other devices in the house including another Mac connect fine. Internet speed on those is 100mbps +.

I've tried the various suggestions here: Wifi on Macbook not working, other device… - Apple Community

but nothing is working for me. Can't ask the OP there if they managed to resolve the issue as that discussion is closed.

Grateful for any advice.

Posted on Oct 6, 2024 7:08 AM

5 replies

Oct 6, 2024 7:54 AM in response to akapaddy

I've resolved this for now.

Although my VPN was not connected, and does not connect automatically on reboot, I found that something called Surfshark Wireguard was running in the background. Turned it off and normal service has resumed.

I've been using Surfshark a long time and have never had this issue previously.

I'll need to investigate further.

Oct 9, 2024 1:04 PM in response to Walter Johnson

A VPN provides a point-to-point protected connection to... someplace on the internet where you want to be more than where you are.

Its use as purported 'additional security' adds complexity, and the ability to harvest your data more easily to be sold. It does not actually protect you or provide ANY additional security.

VPN you installed yourself is a nuisance, and you should remove it completely. Your Mac is already well protected.

The appropriate use a a VPN to to allow you to be 'present' on an institutional network. Almost all other uses are snake oil, except where you need access to internet services prohibited is your country.

Oct 9, 2024 12:39 PM in response to akapaddy

I have the same problem; however, it is a slightly different configuration.

I installed a new Netgear router this morning. Two phones and my wife's older iMac work great. Her access is wireless, and under wireless details, the IP address shows she is using private IP's. Both of our phones work (10 and 13). My year-old Mac studio with m2 is where the problem comes in. In wireless, most services work, but not Safari and Chrome [both have been updated]. In settings, I do not see any private IP settings, except that the computer IP is a private number.

Plug in a cat five, and the sucker lights up like a Christmas tree. VPN type addresses all show private IPs in Ethernet Details. So, I'm left with either: 1. Mac Studio ok with wireless vpn's, or 2: My mac studio has wireless issues?

WiFi suddenly not working on Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.