You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

This podcast can't be played due to restrictions set for this device

I'm getting this error when I try to play any podcast marked as Explicit, in the Apple Podcasts app. It says "Restrictions can be managed in Settings -> Screen Time". I've disabled all controls in Screen Time, and I still get the message. I can play the same podcasts in 3rd party apps. I've tried rebooting, etc, to no avail. Any thoughts?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 12:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 12:28 PM

In another thread, I finally found a way to fix the problem.

Open the iTunes Store app and try to play a content marked as explicit. You will receive a popup asking you if you want to allow explicit contents (even if they are already enabled in Screen Time...).

By allowing them, also the Podcast app will start working again.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2024 12:28 PM in response to mobius2023

In another thread, I finally found a way to fix the problem.

Open the iTunes Store app and try to play a content marked as explicit. You will receive a popup asking you if you want to allow explicit contents (even if they are already enabled in Screen Time...).

By allowing them, also the Podcast app will start working again.

Oct 3, 2024 12:10 PM in response to Notpersonal12

Notpersonal12 wrote:

So wtf is Apple doing about this? Their Podcasts app is literally unusable. I've also removed all restrictions in Screen Time and still it won't let me play podcasts.

No one here in this user-to-user forum would know what Apple is doing about this. You can let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

I suggest you put the feedback under "iPhone" as the Podcast app is part of the included apps.

Meanwhile, there are lots of other, better podcasts apps availalble. I've been using PocketCasts for years. I really like it.

Oct 3, 2024 12:19 PM in response to mobius2023

There are multiple ways restrictions can be set:

• Screen Time restrictions set by you
  • Screen Time restrictions set using parental controls
  • Screen Time restrictions set by a business or school, if you have a business or school email account on your device
  • Screen Time restrictions set by a business or school that has installed MDM (Mobile Device Management) on the device

Do any of these apply?

This podcast can't be played due to restrictions set for this device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.