You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple Watch Ultra 2 Locks while on wrist

So I just received my apple watch ultra 2 and it keeps locking whenever I move my wrist. I have the milanese loop band and have it as tight as I can possibly get it. I've tried to turn the wrist detection on and off and it still locks even if I'm wearing it. It is running watchOS 11 and my phone is running iOS 18. Any ideas on how to fix this would be great.

Apple Watch Ultra 2, watchOS 11

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 8:19 AM

4 replies

Oct 19, 2024 5:53 AM in response to djwillis09

Hi. I started to have the same issue. I've had my series 7 since the launch of series 8 (obviously). And with the lastest WatchOS 11 the watch started to lock itself. Mostly during the workout but sometimes it happens only when I'm sitting.

It's not a problem of my wrist strap because it did not happen one or two months ago. It started after the update. I don't have tattoos and whenever I work out, I strap it to the tightest point.

Sep 24, 2024 8:24 AM in response to djwillis09

One thing to ask: do you have any tattoos on your wrist where you have your watch? If so, that's an issue. Tattoos can cause problems with any device that uses light-based technology to detect your wrist, as the Apple Watch does. If that is the case, the only solution may be to wear your Watch on your other wrist.

If you don't have tattoos on your wrist or anything else that might interfere with the Watch's detection, post back and someone can perhaps offer additional suggestions (of course, restarting your Watch, if you haven't done that, is always the first thing to try).

Regards.

Oct 19, 2024 2:14 PM in response to djwillis09

I just began having the same problem when I thought it would be fixed.

I have come to the conclusion that it is a watchOS 11 problem. Because I had the Apple Watch Ultra one and I never, not even a single time, faced any issues related with wrist detection, until watchOS 11. Sadly, the ultra 2 I ordered came by default with watchOS 11. It began presenting this same problem right now after around five days of having bought it, which will pretty much render it useless.

Apple Watch Ultra 2 Locks while on wrist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.