You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Frequent kernel panics while using Creative Cloud

I get kernel panics at least once a week, typically when using After Effects and/or Premiere Pro. I'm not doing anything too intensive. Hardware check passed. Can anyone see something here that I don't understand?

Thanks!!!

Today's log attached.

Mac Pro, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 9:46 AM

15 replies

Sep 25, 2024 3:24 PM in response to Allan Jones

the Mac Pro 7,1 is still an Intel processor and should have Error-Correcting Code RAM, unless you have defeated that excellent future by installing standard RAM instead of ECC RAM.

Normally, such a Mac halts on uncorrectible error with a very distinctive kernel panic (but it does not say RAM error.) if it detects RAM Bad at startup, that RAM is set aside and those slots are declared "empty"

User Tip: Mac Pro and Error Correcting Co… - Apple Community

Sep 23, 2024 12:02 PM in response to EricFreeseWPG

If an app had done something illegal that would cause the App to be quit, and that is what the report would have said.

Instead, part of the system, window server, wandered off and did not check in again after two entire minutes. Unfortunately, we never get to see the exact 'scene of the crime', we only hear indirectly that something bad has happened.

lacking adequate information is kernel panic reports, we can sometimes run this little 'discovery' Utility, EtreCheck Pro, and get an idea of what might have gone wrong. Its free to use for forum users.

http://etrecheck.com

download and run the utility, then share your report in a reply on the forums:

Sep 23, 2024 10:48 AM in response to EricFreeseWPG

<< userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from WindowServer (2 induced crashes) in 120 seconds. >>

That panic is due to the window server process wandering off, and not reporting in for 120 seconds.

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, Bit Torrent, or a VPN that you installed yourself. 

are you running anything like that?

Sep 23, 2024 11:09 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the reply!

Nope, I generally steer clear of those.

So the panic is happening because of the computer freezing, if I'm understanding correctly.

Then maybe I'm trying to diagnose the wrong thing. The kernel panic isn't caused by AE or Premiere directly, it's a result of those apps freezing up the computer? I need to figure out why Adobe apps are freezing the whole computer?

Sep 24, 2024 3:27 PM in response to EricFreeseWPG

Something is horribly wrong with that run of Etrecheck, and/or your system.

it says it took 24 minutes to run. Expected runtime is under three minutes. Yet drive performance is around 3000 M B/sec.

... and consumed 29.5 GB of RAM . Expected RAM usage is under 1 GB.

I recommend you Restart your Mac in Safe Mode, which does a Repair Disk Directory on the Boot drive as it starts up.

Consider downloading a new copy of Etrecheck as well.

Sep 25, 2024 12:32 PM in response to EricFreeseWPG

If you upgraded the RAM after purchase, what RAM make and model did you install?

I see reference to "Corsair Memory, Inc." Corsair, like Kingston, has two tires of modules. The lower-cost tier for both brands have shown issues in Intel Macs. That alone could be the problem. I use only Crucial or OWC RAM in our Macs with upgradeable memory, and never had an issue.

I also see referernce to "CleanerOne" and "AntiVirusOne." So-called "cleaning" apps can slow a Mac, as can antivirus software.

You SSD performance is "on the nominals" so I have eliminated that as a issue for now.

Sep 25, 2024 12:41 PM in response to Allan Jones

In the second report, this concerns me as a potential RAM issue given the computer had just been restarted:

Virtual Memory Information:

Physical RAM: 96 GB

Free RAM: 17 MB

Used RAM: 83.84 GB

Cached files: 12.14 GB

Available RAM: 12.16 GB

Swap Used: 99.30 GB ⚠️ 😳

In reading thousands of Etrecheck reports here over many years, I've NEVER seen a Mac using 99+GB of Swap, regardless of model nor time since last restart.

More than ever I suspecting a RAM issue. When it comes to Macs, not all RAM are equally created.

Sep 26, 2024 11:10 AM in response to EricFreeseWPG

16 GB DIMMs and larger have so many individual chips that if you just used the regular 'wired-or' output connection method for the chips, they would not work, due to too many chip outputs wired together. So these DIMMs have an output Register to re-drive the chip outputs onto the Memory Bus. These are called "Registered" DIMMs because of the output Register.

4 GB and smaller DIMMs are wired in the conventional way, where chip outputs are all wired directly together and onto the memory bus without an output register.

The two types can NOT be mixed, or they become unreliable.

8GB DIMMs might be constructed as Registered or Un-Registered, depending on how many chip are on board. the ones you cited are listed as Registered, and do NOT mix with Un-Registered DIMMs.

Frequent kernel panics while using Creative Cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.