You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some video / live streaming blacks out on external monitor

I have an M2 MacBook and an external ViewSonic 32" Monitor. My issue is that there are some video streaming platforms that will not display on the external monitor (although the audio is there). Because some work perfectly, I suspect my USB-C to HDMI cable is fine, but maybe some broadcasters black a 2nd screen?

I'm in the UK and, to be more specific, I have no problem with Apple TV, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, ITV X, Channel 4, YouTube and others. All display perfectly on the 32" monitor.

Udemy (online training) videos and NowTV / Sky Sports however, display for about 20 seconds and then the screen goes black.

I am aware of Mac HDCP issues but I do not get any error message at all so don't know if this is the issue.

Any thoughts anyone?

iPad Air

Posted on Aug 28, 2024 8:05 AM

1 reply

Aug 28, 2024 8:22 PM in response to manofdogz

How are you connecting the monitor?

Are you using your Mac's native hardware video support – or are you using some "workaround" product that uses DisplayLink, Magic Control Technology, etc. to drive more monitors than your hardware supports?

Having video blank out sounds like a DRM ("intentional incompatibility") problem – where a streaming platform is deliberately refusing to play video unless it is sure that the video is "protected" against YOU, the paying customer, all of the way to the display. If you attach a monitor using a "workaround", I think that breaks the DRM chain, and then the streaming platform intentionally cuts you off.

If you're using native hardware video output, I'm not sure why you would be seeing the issue.

Some video / live streaming blacks out on external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.